|Member of the Australian Parliament
21 August 2010 – 2 July 2016
|Preceded by||Pat Farmer|
|Succeeded by||Mike Freelander|
16 December 1958 |
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
|Website||Liberal People: Russell Matheson|
Russell Glenn Matheson (born 16 December 1958), an Australian federal politician, was a Member of the Australian House of Representatives for the seat of Macarthur representing the Liberal Party of Australia from August 2010 to July 2016. The seat was previously held by Liberal Pat Farmer, who lost Liberal pre-selection and retired from politics. Matheson lost the safe Liberal seat in the 2016 federal election to Labor candidate Mike Freelander.
Early years and background
Prior to entering politics, Matheson was a Sergeant in the New South Wales Police Force, with 23 years experience, and former local Australian football champion. He served 17 years on Council of the City of Campbelltown, including five years as Mayor as an independent.
Matheson defeated Farmer for Liberal preselection in Macarthur. The seat had been made notionally Labor with a 0.5-point two-party-preferred margin in the electoral redistribution prior to the 2010 election, however Matheson won with a notional 3.5-point swing to finish on a 3-point margin.
After the 2010 election, it was revealed that Matheson failed to resign from his position on the Campbelltown Council before the election, putting himself at risk of High Court action, which would not allow him to take office as the member for Macarthur. Previously, independent Phil Cleary and Liberal Jackie Kelly have been faced with a by-election after failing to resign from public service positions before winning their respective seats.
- "Division of Macarthur – First Preferences and Two Candidate Preferred". 2010 Australian federal election. Australian Electoral Commission. 22 August 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- Ward, Matthew (22 August 2010). "Russell Matheson wins federal seat of Macarthur for Liberals". Macarthur Chronicle. News Community Media. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- Salusinszky, Imre (30 October 2009). "Star Howard recruit Farmer dumped by the Liberals". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Electorate: Macarthur". Federal Election 2016. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2 July 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- Mayne, Stephen (30 August 2010). "The power of Wilkie". Crikey. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Gharahkhani, Soraiya (25 August 2010). "Matheson will stay on council, despite MP role". The Macarthur Advertiser. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Macarthur