Ryō Ikebe from the film Gendaijin (1952)
February 11, 1918
|Died||October 8, 2010(aged 92)|
Ryō Ikebe (池部 良 Ikebe Ryō) (11 February 1918 – 8 October 2010) was a Japanese actor. He graduated from Rikkyō University and originally wanted to be a screenwriter, but ended up debuting as an actor at Tōhō in 1941. He did not achieve popularity until starring in a series of youth films in the late 1940s. He expanded his acting range in the 1950s, while still frequently appearing in genre films, such as Tōhō tokusatsu films and yakuza films at Tōei. He was also known as an essayist.
- Aoi sanmyaku (青い山脈) (1949)
- Escape at Dawn (暁の脱走, Akatsuki no dasso) (1950)
- Bōryoku no Machi (ペン偽らず 暴力の街 Pen itsurazu: Bōryoku no machi) (1950)
- Gendai-jin (現代人 Gendaijin) (1952)
- The Lone Journey (旅路, Tabiji) (1955)
- Early Spring (早春 Sōshun) (1956)
- The Legend of the White Serpent (白夫人の妖恋, Byaku fujin no yoren) (1956)
- Rangiku monogatari (乱菊物語) (1956)
- Snow Country (雪国 Yukiguni) (1957)
- A Holiday in Tokyo (東京の休日 Tōkyō no kyūjitsu) (1958)
- Battle in Outer Space (宇宙大戦争, Uchū daisensō) (1959)
- Submarine I-57 Will Not Surrender (潜水艦イ-57降伏せず, Sensuikan I-57 kofuku sezu) (1959)
- Gorath (妖星ゴラス, Yōsei Gorasu) (1962)
- Pale Flower (乾いた花 Kawaita hana) (1964)
- The War in Space (惑星大戦争 Wakusei daisensō) (1977)
- Station (駅 STATION, Eki Station) (1981)
- Shōsetsu Yoshida gakkō (小説吉田学校) (1983) - Taketora Ogata
- Dokuganryū Masamune (1987) - Sen no Rikyū
- "Ikebe Ryō". Nihon jinmei daijiten (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved 27 April 2010.
- Shimura, Miyoko; Yumiketa, Aya, eds. (2007). Eiga haiyū Ikebe Ryō. Waizu Shuppan. ISBN 978-4-89830-207-1.