|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up|
Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer is a 2007 scrolling shooter video game developed by SideQuest Studios and published by Eastasiasoft. The game was initially released physically for Microsoft Windows on December 14, 2007, before coming to the PlayStation 3 via the PlayStation Network on December 4, 2008.
Söldner-X is a traditional 2D shoot 'em up game with parallax scrolling, 720p high-definition graphics, weather effects and a rich weapon upgrade system.
- 12 stages of parallax graphics and animations, staged across 4 world/space settings
- High definition graphics in 720p (16:9), or greater/lower resolutions for the PC
- Supports 2-Player Co-Op Play (simultaneously)
- Weather effects (such as rain, fog and lightning)
- Detailed background animations
- Classic design, yet state-of-the-art shooter technology
- Unique upgrade weapon system with five standard weapon types
- Tactical elements such as chaining, effectiveness system, and 'berserker' mode
- Hidden bonus features
- More than 20 extras (with both positive and negative effects)
- Collection quests
- Features a soundtrack and sound effects (PC Feature)
- Bi-lingual story mode (English/Japanese)
- Six modes of difficulty: very easy, easy, normal, hard, impossible, nightmare
- Online high score ranking
- Constant frame rate of 60fps (if recommended system requirements are met) (PC Feature)
- Soldier Unleashed
- Industrial Menace
- Hyper Space Assault
- War above the Clouds
- Lurking Evil
Stages (Soldner-X 2 final prototype)
- Zeus Sector
- Tunnels of Reef
- Ethier Ruins
- Elji Woods
- Turady deep sea
- Ice caves
- Van Krised labs
- Zaphyer station (DLC)
- Isis sector battleship (DLC)
- Isis core (DLC)
Stages 1–5 are available from the start, stages six & seven becoming unlocked once the player has collected all four secret keys in the previous stages. The three DLC stages are available immediately after purchase, even if the player has not unlocked six and seven.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2014)|
Development and release
The title of the game is Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer, a German expression.
- Söldner-X translates as Mercenary-X.
- Himmelsstürmer - Someone who's set to defy the impossible, easily overcoming true-life obstacles. Literally, Himmelsstürmer would mean "somebody who attacks/conquers the sky, alternatively "storms into the sky". An accepted translation of Himmelsstürmer is "Romantic Idealist".
IGN awarded 8.0 calling it "impressive".
A sequel titled Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype released exclusively for PlayStation 3 (as a downloadable game), appeared in Q1 2010. Söldner-X 2 game features seven levels with a further three available as downloadable content. It was also released in Q1 2015 for the PlayStation Vita.