S. M. Balaji
|S. M. Balaji|
|Born||Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Occupation||Dental and Facio – Maxillary Surgeon|
|Website||Balaji Dental and Craniofacial Hospital|
S. M. Balaji is a dental and facio – maxillary surgeon from Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. He is the only Indian to be listed in the Top 10 Dental Scientist. He specialises in repair of cleft palate, rhinoplasty, ear reconstruction, jaw reconstruction, facial asymmetry correction, dental implantology, maxillofacial surgery and Craniofacial surgery.
Balaji conducts medical camps in South India, North America, China, Russia, Andamans and Maldives with the support of the governments as the majority of the people cannot afford these surgeries, by finding sponsors for poor patients and also operating free.
He is an International Consultant Maxillofacial, Cleft Lip & Palate Surgeon to many countries around the world. He does craniofacial, maxillofacial, cleft lip and palate surgery at Victoria Hospital, Mahe – Seychelles, Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital Mauritius, Vacua Hospital, Mauritius, Indra Gandhi Hospital, Republic of Maldives. Formerly Consultant Maxillofacial Surgeon at Apollo Hospital, Colombo, Sri Lanka.He is also a Cleft Craniofacial Surgeon at G.P Pant Hospital, Andaman Nicobar Islands.
A documentary on Dr. S.M. Balaji's surgical expertise and success in skull and face reconstruction surgery was telecast at International Film Festival, Berlin in 1996. The documentary portrays how children with craniofacial deformities from various parts of the world were surgically treated and rehabilitated by him. It showcased how drastically the life of child with facial deformity blooms with happiness, how misery and self-pity turns to a normal and healthy life. The documentary was directed by Dr. Gloriana, International Co-ordinator and Jury for the International Film Festivals.
He has published papers in journals like International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Implant Dentistry, Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Scandinavian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Hand Surgery and Indian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He recently organised the Indian dental conference in Chennai and was the organising chairman of the conference.
He was the first Indian to be the President of the 7th World Cleft Lip & Palate Congress held at Republic of Seychelles.
He is the author of The Textbook on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, which is currently the country's best seller and the prescribed book to be used by undergraduate and post graduate students.
Presently, the second edition of this book is in the market. This book has the foreword written by Prof. Daniel M Laskin who is regarded as the pioneer Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
Prof. S.M Balaji documented his nearly 3 decades of surgical life in the form of Textbook “Clinical Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery”. The textbook is aimed at young surgeons and trainee surgeons and teaches them to solve the challenges posed by complex craniofacial situations.
He was the Chairman of the 4th World Congress on Craniofacial Tissue Engineering, the Joint meet of both the European & Asia-Pacific Conferences, that was held in Male, Republic of Maldives. Previously these conferences used to be held in Paris and London.
Dr. S.M Balaji was conferred with Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by Dr D Y Patil University, Mumbai, for his contribution to dentistry and craniofacially deformed children.
S. M. Balaji's interest lies in research and improving surgical techniques. Even as a student, he was interested in experiments. He stated, "As a senior resident, I tried applying gutka and betel nut to the lips of rabbits and observing them. After about three months, I noticed changes in the tissues."
Now his research leans towards surgical techniques. He has researched and presented papers on surgical techniques for deformed noses (rhinoplasty), facial paralysis and lesions that may lead to oral cancer, TM Joint Ankylosis and other topics."
In 2002 he received the Tamil Nadu Scientist Award from the department of Science and Technology, Government of Tamil Nadu.
He received the Dr. R. Ahmed Oration Award, the highest award of Indian Dental Association in 2006 at Ludhiana, Punjab.
Dr. Balaji received in 2008 from the Indian President Pratibha Patil, the B. C. Roy Award which is presented for Medicine to eminent doctors for their contribution to medical research, teaching and development of specialities in various branches of medicine.
Indian Government awarded twice Best Medical Book Award with 10000 INR cash prize in year 2001 & 2003.
He has been awarded the Brammaiah Sastri Award for ground breaking research findings in the field of reconstructive surgery using novel bone morphogenetic proteins by the Indian Association of Bio-medical Scientist conference at Chandigarh.
He was awarded the "Dr. Ginwallah Rolling Trophy" of the Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India twice for scientific research in maxillofacial surgery. He has won the "Modus Award of Merit" for presenting the 'Best Innovative Surgical Technique' at the 6th Asian Conference on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery held at Tokyo.
Professor Dr. SM Balaji was honored with Prof. David Precious Scientific Award at the 2018 Leipzig in the XII International Cleft Lip and Palate Conference. His research on guided bone regeneration in cleft deformities was selected for this award. Prof. Kenneth Salyer, USA President, ICPF, Prof. Tony Markus, UK and Prof. Marie Tolorova, USA presented the award in a glittering Award Ceremony. Prof. S. M. Balaji is the first and only Indian to receive this award till date.
- "Give them back their smiles". The Hindu. 31 October 2004. Retrieved 15 August 2009.
- "B.C. Roy awards for 55 doctors". The Hindu. 2 July 2008. Retrieved 15 August 2009.
- Seychelles, Nation. "Database to help patients having facial surger". Seychelles Nation. Retrieved 24 February 2009.
- The Hindu (31 October 2004). "Give them back their smiles" (Magazine). The Hindu. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Gloriana Selvanathan (2014). Those were the Golden Days. UK: Arima Publishing,. ISBN 978-1-84549-628-9.
- IDA, Annual Conference. "IDA Conference". IDA.
- The Hindu, News Paper. "The Hindu".
- Txt, Book. "TextBook". Elsevier.
- Txt, Book. "The Textbook on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Second Edition". Elsevier.
- Clinical Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery Book. India: Elsevier. p. 590. ISBN 9788131221839.
- Tamil Nadu, The New Indian Express. "Facial Reconstructive Surgeon organises Global Conference" (Daily News). Express Group. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Chennai, India, The New Indian Express (26 May 2014). "Dr. S.M Balaji was conferred with D.Sc" (Daily News). Express Publications. New Indian Express. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Balaji, SM. "About the annals of maxillofacial surgery". Ann Maxillofac Surg. 1 (1): 2. doi:10.4103/2231-0746.83142. PMC 3591027. PMID 23479554.
- IJDR, JOURNAL. "IJDR".
- SMBALAJI.COM, BDCH. "SMBALAJI.COM".
- "ICPF Awards | International Cleft Lip and Palate Foundation - ICPF". www.icpfweb.org. International Cleft Lip and Palate Foundation.