|Industry||Venture capital and private equity|
Number of locations
|San Francisco, New York, Cork, London, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Xi’An, Taipei, Tokyo|
Number of employees
SOSV is a venture capital firm that provides pre-seed, seed, venture and growth stage funding to startups in the technology sector. The company conducts seed accelerator programs in Asia and the United States of America.
SOSV was founded in 1995 by Sean O'Sullivan. It is headquartered in Princeton, New Jersey, with operations in Cork, Ireland, and offices in San Francisco, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Taipei, New York City, and Newark.
SOSV invests in startups that specialize in deep tech, including climate and health, as well as enterprise and consumer in emerging markets. Notable companies within its portfolio include Opentrons, Formlabs, Perfect Day, NotCo, Upside Foods, The EVERY Company, and BitMEX.
In 2020, SOSV closed its fourth fund totalling $277 million.
In 2021, SOSV closed a $100 million Select Fund.
SOSV runs the following programmes:
- dlab (New York) - an accelerator for startups working on decentralized software technology (blockchain).
- HAX (formerly Haxlr8r, Shenzhen and Newark) - a development program for hardware-based startups at seed and growth stage.
- IndieBio (San Francisco and New York) - a startup development program for startups operating in the life sciences sector.
- Orbit Startups (formerly Chinaccelerator and MOX, Shanghai and Taipei) - focuses on high growth, early stage startups in emerging markets.
- Devitt, Niall. "Bill Liao of SOSventures Discusses Exit Strategies & the Value of Brand Story at #nsclunchnlearn". Bizsugar. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Loizos, Connie (June 11, 2021). "SOSV, the global venture firm, just closed a $100 million fund to back its maturing startups". TechCrunch.
- Donnelly, Ann. "Startup Accelerator Programs: What's in it for a startup? What's in it for investors?". O'Mahony Donnelly. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Collins, Dylan. "Founder Interviews: Sean O'Sullivan (SOSventures Avego)". Business Insider. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- King, Kate (July 19, 2018). "New York Gives $25 Million to Breathe Life Into City's Biotech Scene". Wall Street Journal.
- Heater, Brian (September 16, 2021). "SOSV is building a New Jersey HAX facility for industrial, healthcare and climate startups". TechCrunch.
- "TechCrunch ex-COO Ned Desmond has joined VC firm SOSV as senior operating partner". Startup News, Networking, and Resources Hub | BEAMSTART. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- "The venture firm SOSV has hired former TechCrunch COO Ned Desmond to help grow its startups". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- Srivastava, Moulishree (2021-11-14). "3 thoughts on India's climate tech ecosystem from William Bao Bean of SOSV". KrASIA. Retrieved 2022-08-12.
- Shieber, Jonathan (April 22, 2021). "SOSV's burgeoning climate portfolio is worth nearly $6 billion as planetary health bets pay off". TechCrunch.
- Kong, Xavier (7 September 2022). "New SOSV program announces inaugural cohort". Tech in Asia.
- Hernbroth, Megan (July 26, 2022). "Generalists head for the hills in Q2". Axios.
- Betuel, Emma (January 13, 2022). "Meet the 13 startups in IndieBio's SF cohort, and discover what about each swayed investors". TechCrunch.
- Hall, Christine (July 26, 2021). "NotCo gets its horn following $235M round to expand plant-based food products". TechCrunch.
- Hall, Christine (December 7, 2021). "The EVERY Co. grabs $175M as it cracks code on animal-free protein products". TechCrunch.
- Simonds, Lauren (July 15, 2022). "Gain insight from HAX robotics founders at TC Sessions: Robotics". TechCrunch.
- Hall, Christine (April 21, 2022). "UPSIDE Foods bites into $400M to serve up cultivated meat". TechCrunch.
- Loizos, Connie (April 25, 2019). "The venture firm SOSV has already raised its biggest fund to date, and it isn't quite closed". TechCrunch.
- "Global VC, SOSV secures $277 million in its fourth fund — looks to invest in early-stage deep tech startups". BEAMSTART - Business Community, Resources, & Opportunities. Retrieved 2020-11-21.
- Aimuengheuwa, Joan (August 19, 2022). "Apply: Web3, Blockchain Startup? Over $750K Awaits You In dlab Accelerator". TechEconomy Nigeria.
- Reynolds, Matt (July 6, 2016). "Inside Shenzhen: The Silicon Valley of hardware". Wired UK.
- Gewin, Virginia (2013). "Biotechnology: Independent streak". Nature. Naturejobs.com. 499 (7459): 509–511. doi:10.1038/nj7459-509a. PMID 23894751.
- Buhr, Sarah (May 12, 2015). "Biotech Accelerator IndieBio Bumps Funding To $250K Per Startup To Give Founders More Runway". TechCrunch.
- Khan, Mutaher (September 5, 2022). "The VC parallels for China and Pakistan". Dawn.com.