This article is about SQL:2003
, a revision of the SQL
standard. For more information about SQL, see the main SQL
SQL:2003 is the fifth revision of the SQL database query language. The latest revision of the standard is SQL:2011.
The SQL:2003 standard makes minor modifications to all parts of SQL:1999 (also known as SQL3), and officially introduces a few new features such as:
- XML-related features (SQL/XML)
- Window functions
- the sequence generator, which allows standardized sequences
- two new column types: auto-generated values and identity-columns
- the new MERGE statement
- extensions to the CREATE TABLE statement, to allow "CREATE TABLE AS" and "CREATE TABLE LIKE"
- removal of the poorly implemented "BIT" and "BIT VARYING" data types
- OLAP capabilities (initially added in SQL:1999) were extended with a window function.
The SQL standard is not freely available. SQL:2003 may be purchased from ISO or ANSI. A late draft is available as a zip archive from Whitemarsh Information Systems Corporation. The zip archive contains a number of PDF files that define the parts of the SQL:2003 specification.
- ISO/IEC 9075(1-4,9-11,13,14):2003 CD-ROM (352 CHF, or approximately 225 EUR, to order the CD)