Sandwell General Hospital
|Sandwell General Hospital|
|Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust|
Sandwell General Hospital's main block, August 2016
|Location||Sandwell, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Sandwell General Hospital is an acute teaching hospital of the Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust in West Bromwich, England and provides an extensive range of general and specialist hospital services. The trust is currently under the leadership of chair Richard Samuda and chief executive Toby Lewis.
The hospital started as an infirmary which was added to the West Bromwich union workhouse in 1884. Improvements were begun in 1925, when the infirmary then became a separate institution named Hallam Hospital. After the creation of the NHS and rebuilding in the 1970s, the hospital was renamed Sandwell General Hospital.
A new £18m Emergency Services Centre opened on the Sandwell General Hospital campus in April 2005. This facility replaced the old A&E department destroyed by the largest fire in National Health Service history. It incorporates a comprehensive A&E facility, Emergency Assessment Unit and Cardiac Care Unit. The model of care has been developed with primary care to provide a fully integrated service.
Sandwell General Hospital provides a comprehensive range of medical and nursing services including general medicine, surgery, urology, plastic surgery, orthopaedics, gastroenterology, rheumatology, interventional cardiology (including percutaneous coronary intervention for acute myocardial infarction since 2005) and paediatrics.
- "Sandwell General Hospital (Sandwell Healthcare NHS Trust), West Bromwich". National Archives. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Timeline History of West Bromwich". Visitor UK. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Emergency services centre opens in Sandwell". Planning Resource. 6 May 2005. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Bosses defend Sandwell heart centre move". Express and Star. 11 August 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Midland Metropolitan Hospital approved for Smethwick site". Birmingham Mail. 24 September 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Services". Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals. Retrieved 1 December 2015.