Sanford H. Calhoun High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Sanford H. Calhoun High School|
|1786 State Street
Merrick, New York 11566
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Bellmore–Merrick Central High School District|
|Number of students||1,438|
|Color(s)||Blue and gray|
Sanford H. Calhoun High School is a public high school located in Merrick, New York. Established in 1958, Calhoun is one of three high schools in the Bellmore–Merrick Central High School District, and acts as a magnet school for several programs.
Hoofbeats is the official student newspaper of Calhoun. The newspaper has won numerous awards, and five editions are produced each year.
Calhoun competes in Section VIII athletics, a compilation of public schools in Nassau County. The fall season hosts boys' and girls' cross country, football, boys' and girls' soccer, girls' tennis, boys' badminton, boys' volleyball, girls' volleyball, and girls' swimming. The winter hosts wrestling, boys' and girls' basketball, and indoor track, with district teams—including athletes from the other two schools of the district, Mepham and Kennedy—for ice hockey, swimming, diving, rifle, and bowling. The final season, spring, is home to boys' and girls' lacrosse, track and field, baseball, softball, boys' tennis, and girls' badminton.
Calhoun Choral Program
The Calhoun Choral Program (CCP) is composed of over 160 students, and consists of three groups. Many students belong to more than one group.
- Concert Choir is an auditioned 75-person class composed of tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. Each spring, over one-hundred students audition for the incoming group. The group performs a wide variety of three-, four-, six-, and eight-part music, primarily a cappella.
- Chorale, a 3-section class made of over 80 ninth–twelfth grade students, is a group that performs a wide variety of three-part a cappella and accompanied music.
- Crescendo, the most well known of the ensembles, is an auditioned show choir of 24 students that performs pop-rock literature with choreography.
Calhoun Band Program
|This section does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Calhoun Band Program consists of six groups. Students are most commonly in more than one group.
- Wind Ensemble (CCVB) is made up of tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. Students audition around January to be in the CCVB for the following year. The band plays in two concerts every year during the winter and during the spring. The CCVB participates in festivals like Festival Disney and a competition in Virginia Beach. A president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, and historian are elected by the group every year.
- Symphonic Band is made up of tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. It does not require an audition.. The band plays in two concerts every year during the winter and during the spring with the Concert Band. A president and vice president are elected by the group every year.
- Concert Band is made up of only ninth graders. It does not require an audition. The band plays in two concerts every year during the winter and during the spring with the Symphonic Band. A president and vice president are elected by the group every year.
- Jazz Band is made up of ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. Students must audition to be in this section of the band program. These students meet once a week after school to prepare for the winter and spring concert.
- Rock Band is made up of ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. They perform at various functions but most commonly at Calhoun High School's varsity football games.
- Pep Band is made up of ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. They perform at Calhoun High School's varsity football games alongside the Rock Band.
Calhoun Theatre Program
At Calhoun High School an award winning theatre program exists, the On Tour Company. The On Tour Company began in 1974 and has been successful in producing a wide range of productions each year. Since 1985 the program has been run by Salvatore Salerno of Merrick. The company puts on 1 Shakespeare play, 1 straight play, 1 musical, 1 alternating style show, 3 improv nights, the Gotta Sing, Gotta Act and Gotta Dance production and one night of senior one acts each year.
- Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, of Ben & Jerry's
- Steve Grilli, baseball player
- Jeff Mattson, lead guitarist and singer of Dark Star Orchestra
- Kevin Shinick, actor, writer, and director, notably of Robot Chicken
- Debbie Gibson, singer and actress
- Lindsay Lohan, actress, singer and model
- Robbie Rosen, American Idol contestant
- Zack Ryder, professional wrestler and WWE Superstar
- "Clubs". Sanford H. Calhoun High School. Bellmore–Merrick Central High School District. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
-  Archived January 15, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "About the CCP". Calhoun Choral Program. Calhoun Choral Program. Retrieved July 23, 2012.
- "Cohen, Bennett (Ben) and Greenfield, Jerry". Pennsylvania Center for the Book. Nicholas Anthony. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Noble, Marty (May 11, 2013). "Dad's number retirement proud moment for Grilli". MLB.com. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Pacer '76, Sanford H. Calhoun H.S. Pacer Staff, New York, 1976
- "Lindsay Lohan—Biography". Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved December 4, 2014.