Saviana Stănescu, Romania) is a Romanian-American poet, playwright and journalist. She is currently the NYSCA playwright-in-residence for Women's Project, writer-in-residence of East Coast Artists, and Director of New Drama Program for the Romanian Cultural Institute in New York. She taught at New York University, Tisch School of Arts, Drama Department, and currently is a faculty member within the Department of Theatre Arts at Ithaca College, where she teaches script analysis and playwriting. She holds an MA in Performance Studies (Fulbright fellow) and an MFA in Dramatic Writing from NYU, Tisch School of the Arts.
Poetry and plays
- Viza de Clown
- The Fall
- Polanski Polanski
- For a Barbarian Woman
- Aliens with Extraordinary Skills - A play, world premiere 2008 at the Women's Project
- Waxing West - a play, 2007 New York Innovative Theatre Award for Outstanding Full-Length Script
- "Google Me!" - poetry in English
- Black Milk - An English-Romanian anthology of 4 plays
- The Inflatable Apocalypse - A play which won Best Play of the Year 2000 Uniter Award
- The Outcast - A dramatic poem
- Advice for Housewives and Muses - Poetry and prose
- Love on the Barbed Wire - A book of poems
- 2007 New York Innovative Theatre Award for Outstanding Full-Length Script
- 2004 John Golden Award for Excellence in Playwriting
- 2002 Antoine Vitez Center award for "Final Countdown" (published in French), Paris
- 2001-2002 Fulbright scholar – Tisch School of the Arts, Performance Studies
- 2001 writer-in-residence of KulturKontakt in Vienna, Austria
- 2000 Fellow of the British Council CAMBRIDGE SEMINAR, Cambridge University
- 2000 Representative of Romania at International Poetry Festival Struga, Macedonia
- 2000 – Best Play of the Year Uniter National Award
- 1999 – 'Poesis' Award for Theatre-Poem
- 1998 – Bucharest Writers Association Poetry Award Nomination
- 1992 – 'Lucian Blaga' Festival Poetry Award
- "cartea romaneasca / catalog / autori - 2015". web.archive.org. 2016-10-03. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Despre Matei VISNIEC, Saviana STANESCU, Radu MACRINICI... in Observator Cultural
- "Saviana Stanescu Condeescu - Ithaca College". faculty.ithaca.edu. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- "Saviana stanescu : i-migrant in new york - a personal quasi-theatrical biography with images. lecture performance". www.actmedia.eu. June 10, 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Orel, Gwen (July 19, 2006). "From Bucharest to New York, Reality Takes the Stage". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Barron, James (May 17, 2007). "Inconspicuous Drama, Now Playing at the World Financial Center". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Wide-Eyed New Arrivals Falling in Love With the City (Review)
- "In Dialogue: Extraordinary Jokes with Saviana Stanescu" by Matthew Paul Olmos, The Brooklyn Rail, October 2008.