H. M. Smith, 1945
H. M. Smith, 1931
Scaphognathops is a genus of cyprinid fish found in Southeast Asia. Thai vernacular names were Pla Pak Pian (Thai: ปลาปากเปี่ยน), Pla Pian (ปลาเปี่ยน) or Pla Ta Dam (ปลาตาดำ). Restricted to Mekong Basin, and not easy to find.
This genus have been taxonomically by H. M. Smith an American ichthyologist who come to live and work in Siam (today's Thailand). At first, he intended to specific epithet them Scaphognatus, but it was a synonym for prehistoric winged reptile. Thus he must be changed to Scaphognathops as the current.
There are currently three species in this genus include:
- Scaphognathops bandanensis Boonyaratpalin & Srirungroj, 1971
- Scaphognathops stejnegeri (H. M. Smith, 1931)
- Scaphognathops theunensis Kottelat, 1998
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2011). Species of Scaphognathops in FishBase. August 2011 version.
- Uk-katawewat, Sompote (2004). สาระน่ารู้ปลาน้ำจืดไทย เล่ม ๑ [Knowledge of Thai Freshwater Fishes, Vol. 1] (in Thai). Bangkok: Khurusapa Business Organization. p. 171. ISBN 974-00-8701-9.
|This Cyprinidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|