SceneTap, previously known as BarTabbers, is a data analytics, marketing services, and mobile application company launched in 2010. SceneTap started in Chicago, Illinois, and is currently based in Austin, Texas. The tool allows end users to view real-time data on crowd sizes, gender ratios, and the average age of patrons in a given location. In addition, it allows establishments to post live coupons and specials for users to purchase.
Application and Website
SceneTap offers an administrative platform to operators of establishments, allowing operators to view reports and charts on their customers. Data is fed to its mobile application and website allowing users to view data on social venues such as bars, lounges, and coffee shops. The current network is primarily based in Chicago, IL, Bloomington, IN, and Austin, with expansion areas including Boston, Columbus, Ohio, New York, and Miami. The service most recently launched in San Francisco on Friday, May 18, 2012.
The mobile application and website also provide "real-time" specials on food and drink to end users, which are submitted by each establishment.
In late 2013, Cole Harper and his Co-Founder, Marc Doering, stepped down from executive roles as the SceneTap Board of Directors restructured the company for a merger with BarVision, which continues today.
Media pundits and privacy advocates have raised questions around the technologies SceneTap utilizes to collect its information, particularly since it collects demographic information from people without their consent. The company points out its use of facial detection technology, which analyzes facial features to determine gender and approximate age - rather than attempting to collect personalized information or make an identification of that person.
- Vicky Garza (16 Nov 2011). "SceneTap moves headquarters to Austin". Retrieved 12 Jan 2012.
- Kashmir Hill (28 June 2011). "SceneTap: On-site cameras find happening bars". Forbes. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- Tim Hornyak (10 June 2011). "SceneTap: On-site cameras find happening bars". CNET.
- Justin Meyers (9 June 2011). "http://www.businessinsider.com/barhopping-with-scenetap-scope-out-bars-right-from-your-smartphone-2011-6/". Business Insider. Retrieved 20 June 2011. External link in
- Dan Rowinski (10 June 2011). "Coming To A Bar Near You: Facial Recognition & Real-Time Data". ReadWriteWeb.
- Darren Murph (12 June 2011). "SceneTap app analyzes pubs and clubs in real-time, probably won't score you a Jersey Shore cameo". Engadget. Retrieved 20 June 2011.