Simonson with the Oakland Raiders in 2014
|No. 82 – New York Giants|
|Born:||April 13, 1992|
Red Bank, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||249 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Middletown South|
(Middletown, New Jersey)
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Scott Simonson Jr. (born April 13, 1992) is an American football tight end for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2014. He played college football at Assumption.
Born and raised in Red Bank, New Jersey, Simonson played prep football at Middletown High School South. As a fourth-grader, Simonson made a blood marrow donation to help save the life of his then three-year-old sister, who had been diagnosed with Fanconi anemia.
In his collegiate career, Simonson played in 36 games with 31 starts at Assumption. He totaled 104 receptions for 1,537 yards and 15 touchdowns. As a senior in 2013, he was named as a First-team All-Northeast-10 Conference selection. He started 11 games and led the team with 39 catches for 604 yards and five touchdowns. As a junior in 2012, he was a second-team All-Northeast Conference choice. He started 10 games and finished second on the team with 36 receptions for 558 yards and six touchdowns. As a sophomore in 2011, he started 10 games and caught 29 passes for 375 yards and four touchdowns. As a freshman in 2010, he played in five games.
On May 16, 2014, Simonson was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Oakland Raiders. On September 1, 2014, he was signed to the Raiders' practice squad. On December 6, 2014, he was promoted to the Raiders' active roster. On June 4, 2015, he was waived by the Raiders.
On June 10, 2015, Simonson was signed by the Carolina Panthers. On September 5, 2015, he was released by the Panthers. On September 7, 2015, Simonson was signed to the Panthers' practice squad.
Simonson was released on October 15, 2016. He was re-signed on October 18, 2016. He was released by the Panthers on November 4, 2016 and was re-signed to the practice squad on November 9. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Panthers on January 2, 2017.
On September 1, 2017, Simonson was placed on injured reserve.
New York Giants
On December 23, 2018, Simonson scored his first career NFL touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts in a Week 16 match-up, on a 3-yard reception from quarterback Eli Manning.
On February 19, 2019, Simonson signed a one-year contract extension with the Giants.
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Politi, Steve. "Meet the Super Bowl 2016 player from New Jersey who saved his sister's life", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, February 3, 2016. Accessed December 24, 2018. "Because this weekend is, and against long odds on an athletic level -- we'll get to that part of this Jersey underdog story soon enough -- Scott Simonson will take the field as a special teams player and a third-string tight end for the favored Carolina Panthers.... But the Red Bank native who played for powerhouse Middletown South will be there at Levi's Stadium, and so will a family that includes the sick little girl he helped save."
- "Carolina Panthers Scott Simonson Player Bio". Carolina Panthers: Scott Simonson. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Raiders Make Roster Moves". Raiders.com. June 4, 2015. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- Strickland, Bryan (June 10, 2015). "LB Thompson lands at OTAs". Panthers.com. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- Henson, Max (September 5, 2015). "Panthers trim roster to 53". Panthers.com. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "WR Bersin among 10 set to join practice squad". Panthers.com. September 6, 2015. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- "Panthers promote CB Lou Young". Panthers.com. October 15, 2016.
- "Panthers bring back TE Scott Simonson". Panthers.com. October 17, 2016.
- "Panthers Promote G Tyler Larsen, Waive TE Scott Simonson". November 4, 2016.
- "Panthers make practice squad moves". Panthers.com. November 9, 2016.
- "Panthers sign nine to future contracts". Panthers.com. January 2, 2017.
- Strickland, Bryan (September 1, 2017). "Panthers reduce roster to 77". Panthers.com. Archived from the original on September 20, 2017.
- Eisen, Michael (June 12, 2018). "Giants sign tight end Scott Simonson". Giants.com.
- Gantt, Darin (February 19, 2019). "Giants bring back tight end Scott Simonson". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.