Sean O'Brien (professional windsurfer)
Sean O'Brien (born 6 Jan 1984 in Brisbane) is an Australian professional windsurfer competing on the PWA World Tour and the International Formula Windsurfing Class Tour. He was ranked 7th in the World in Formula Windsurfing in 2012.
Sean grew up in Brisbane, Australia, finishing high school at Marist College Ashgrove. After listing as a notable alumni at Marist, Sean graduated a Bachelor of Psychological Science / Biomedical Science degree at the University of Queensland in 2004.
In 2014, Sean won his 7th Oceanic & Australian Title in Formula Windsurfing at the Downunder Pro on Botany Bay, Sydney, NSW.
Sean worked for 3 years as the windsurfing coach for the QLD State High Performance Sailing unit at Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron club in Brisbane. During this term he successfully qualified Australian youth sailors Luke Baillie and Joanna Sterling to represent Australia at the Volvo Youth Sailing ISAF World Championships in 2009 and Joanna again in 2010.
Later he coached 5-time Olympian and 2-time PBA World Champion Jessica Crisp to her first ISAF World Cup gold medal in 2009 at the SailMelbourne regatta and a clean sweep of the Australian Sail-Downunder Series by also taking gold in the SailSydney regatta at Woollahra Sailing Club in the RS:X Olympic class.
Sean campaigned for the 2008 Beijing Olympics on the RS:X Olympic board for 2 years during 2006-2007 before a back injury ended his campaign in late 2007, despite winning the 2007 Australian Olympic Windsurfing Championships and being in the box seat for a successful Beijing Olympics berth.
Sean currently works in digital media design in Australia and divides his time between summer in Australia and winter in Europe to compete on the Pro Windsurfing Tours and contribute to the tours as a committee member of the International Formula Windsurfing Class.
In 2012 Sean launched the first ever windsurfing fitness training program GetWindsurfFit in conjunction with his trainer Nic Pillonel from Switzerland. The book was widely received and is currently being translated into another 3 languages for future release.
- Member of IFWC International Committee
- Vice-President Australian Windsurfing Association 2010-2011
- Australian Sailing Team Windsurfing Coach 2009
- QLD State High Performance Sailing Coach 2008-2010
- Part of the international racing and development teams for Severne, Starboard.
- Ranked number 7 in the World in Formula Windsurfing 2012
- 7x Australian & Oceanic Formula Windsurfing Champion
- 2012 Asian Windsurfing Champion
- 2007 Australian Olympic Windsurfing Champion
- PWA World Tour Profile
- IFWC Profile
- IFWC World Rankings 2012
- Marist College Ashgrove Notable Alumni
- Australian Championships Results
- VOLVO Youth Team Announcement 2009
- VOLVO Youth Team Announcement 2010
- SailSydney Event News
- Sean O'Brien results
- The Creative Collective Team
- IFWC Committee
- Surfer Today Announcement
- Nic Pillonel
- IFWC World Rankings 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sean O'Brien (windsurfer).|