Sedgwick (CTA station)
|Location||1536 North Sedgwick Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
Purple Line weekday rush hours only
|Platforms||2 side platforms (formerly 2 island platforms)|
|Tracks||2 (formerly 4)|
|Opened||May 31, 1900|
|Passengers (2015)||1,151,664 7.7%|
|Rank||64 out of 143[a]|
Sedgwick is an 'L' station on the CTA's Brown Line, Purple Line Express trains also stop at the station during weekday rush hours. It is an elevated station with two side platforms, located in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood of the Near North Side community area. The adjacent stations are Armitage, which is located about one mile (1.6 km) to the northwest, and Chicago, located about one mile (1.6 km) to the south.
During 2007, the main station entrance was closed for extensive renovation and rebuilding as part of the CTA's Brown Line capacity expansion project. Throughout the renovation period, the station remained open on weekdays but experienced several weekend closures, with entrance to the station through a temporary entrance (which was later converted to an emergency exit) located one block west of the original entrance at Hudson Avenue. As the outside express tracks had not been in service since 1963 they were removed and island platforms widened, converting them to side platforms. The platforms were also extended to allow eight-car trains to berth, and elevators were added along with other upgrades to meet ADA requirements. The historical station house was restored, and an extension was added behind it.
- N9 Ashland (Owl Service)
- 37 Sedgwick
- 72 North
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2015 tally of stations was 146, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 11, 2016. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
- Sedgwick. Chicago "L".org (URL accessed September 23, 2006).
- Borzo, Greg (2007). The Chicago "L". Chicago: Arcadia Publishing. p. 69. ISBN 978-0-7385-5100-5.
- Sedgwick Station. CTA Countdown to a New Brown website (URL accessed September 23, 2006).
Media related to Sedgwick (CTA) at Wikimedia Commons