Cover of Seedfolks
Seedfolks (1997) is a short children's novel written by Paul Fleischman, with illustrations by Judy Pedersen. The story is told by a diverse cast of characters living on (or near) Gibb Street in Cleveland, Ohio, each from a different ethnic group. Chapter by chapter is helpful, each character describes the transformation of an empty lot into a vibrant community garden, and in doing so, they each experience their own transformations.
Awards and recognitions
- ALA Best Books for Young Adults (1998)
- Buckeye Children's Book Award (1999), Grades 6-8
- Marathon County READS | Featured Book (2010)
- Chosen as state and citywide read in communities across the country:
- Racine, Wisconsin
- Tampa, Florida
- Newburgh, New York
- Boca Raton, Florida
- Trumansburg, New York
- Tallahassee, Florida
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Dallas, Texas
- Edgewater Neighborhood, Chicago, Illinois
- Won the Sydney Hess Fictional Shirt Design Award in 1999 
- Library of Congress: "Seedfolks" (brief record) http://lccn.loc.gov/96026696
- ALA Best Books for Young Adults http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa/booklistsawards/bestbooksya/1998bestbooks.cfm
- Buckeye Children's Book Awards: Past Winners http://www.bcbookaward.info/winners_past4.htm
- Marathon County READS: an initiative of the Marathon County Public Library (MCPL) http://www.mcpl.us/reads
- Harper Collins http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Seedfolks/?isbn=9780064472074
- Best Books for Young Adults Archived February 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Fleischman, Paul. Seedfolks. HarperTrophy, 1997. Print.
- Fleischman, Paul. Seedfolks. HarperTeen, 1999. Print.