Serena del Mar
This article needs to be updated.September 2019)(
Serena del Mar is a large-scale urban development located on the northern coast of Cartagena, Colombia. The project's master plan calls for residential, retail, commercial, hospitality, recreational, institutional, and educational facilities. The 1000 hectare (2,472 acres) site is located 12 kilometers from Cartagena’s historic old city and 8 kilometers from Rafael Núñez International Airport.
It is led by the development firm Novus Civitas, which has brought together international urban planners, architects, and landscapers, including EDSA, Moshe Safdie, Wallace Roberts & Todd, Brandon Haw, and Robert Trent Jones II to work on the developments architecture, design, and master plan.
Construction of Phase I of the project began in March 2015. One of the first projects currently under construction is the Centro Hospitalario Serena del Mar, a 409-bed international medical services university hospital, designed by Moshe Safdie and operated by Fundación Santa Fe De Bogota (a Johns Hopkins Medicine International Affiliate)
Serena del Mar’s master plan contemplates over 20,000 housing units ranging from student housing to single-family homes and multi-family apartment complexes for members of different age groups and socioeconomic levels. The first phase of these residential projects is currently being developed.
Serena del Mar will also include an educational component. The Serena del Mar educational component will include a public school for approximately 800 students, as well Universidad de los Andes first satellite campus, designed by Brandon Haw, which will open for classes in 2018.
The Fundación Serena del Mar serves as the development's social foundation and works with the surrounding communities to try and improve quality of life, social development, and the environment. The Fundación Serena del Mar has directly and positively impacted 87% of the surrounding community members through programs based on social development, environmental integration, and revenue generation. The foundation's programs include professional training workshops, educational programs, recreational activities, cultural meet ups, environmental and health conferences, and value formation.
In May 2018 the Universidad de Los Andes campus at Serena del Mar will begin classes. In 2019 the Centro Hospitalario Serena del Mar will begin operations.
- Forero Oliveros, Gabriel (5 February 2015). "Proyecto Serena del Mar contará con un terreno de 1.000 hectáreas".
- Dalzell, Rebecca (7 March 2017). "A City to Grow Into". The Economist 1843 Magazine.
- Gunts, Ed (15 April 2016). "Johns Hopkins Helps Give Birth to a Hospital in South America". Baltimore Fishbowl.
- "Serena del Mar, la nueva urbe del Caribe colombiano". Dinero. 9 January 2017.
- (PDF). Revista Semana. 9 April 2017 http://serenadelmar.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/La-ciudad-soñada-completo.pdf. Missing or empty
- "Serena del Mar entrega terreno para construcción de colegio público". El Universal. 19 June 2016.
- Santos, Sabrina (30 July 2016). "Brandon Haw Unveils Plans for University Building in Colombia". Arch Daily.
- Álvarez Beleño, Samuel (26 November 2016). "Serena del Mar ha beneficiado al 87% de las comunidades". El Universal.