Serenella Iovino is an Italian philosopher, and cultural and literary theorist. From 2001 to 2018 she has been a professor of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures and of Modern Cultures at the University of Turin, Italy.. In 2019 she has become Professor of Italian Studies and Environmental Humanities at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. From 2008 to 2010, she has served as President of the European Association for the Study of Literature, Culture and Environment (EASLCE). In 2014, Iovino was a J. K. Binder Lecturer at the University of California, San Diego. She is considered one of the main environmental philosophers of Italy.
She has published extensively on ecocriticism, literature, and environmental ethics. Iovino is the main proponent for material ecocriticism, a current of ecocritical thought. Her book Ecocriticism and Italy: Ecology, Resistance, and Liberation was awarded the 2016 Book Prize of the American Association for Italian Studies and the MLA's 2016 Aldo and Jeanne Scaglione Prize for Italian Studies.
- Italy and the Environmental Humanities: Landscapes, Natures, Ecologies. Edited by Serenella Iovino, Enrico Cesaretti, and Elena Past. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2018.
- Environmental Humanities: Voices from the Anthropocene. Edited by Serpil Oppermann and Serenella Iovino. London: Rowman & Littlefield International, 2016.
- Ecocriticism and Italy: Ecology, Resistance and Liberation. London: Bloomsbury Academics, 2016.
- Material Ecocriticism. Edited by Serenella Iovino and Serpil Oppermann. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2014.
- Ecologia letteraria: Una strategia di sopravvivenza. Milan. Edizioni Ambiente, 2006 (2nd ed. 2015).
- Filosofie dell’ambiente. Natura, Etica, Società. Rome: Carocci, 2004. (Repr. 2006, 2007, 2008).
- Il ‘Woldemar’ di F.H. Jacobi, introduzione, traduzione e commento storico-critico. Padua: CEDAM, 2000.
- Radice della Virtù. Saggio sul ‘Woldemar’ di F.H. Jacobi. Naples: Città del Sole, 1999.
- "Profilo del docente: Serenella Iovino - Dipartimento di Lingue e Letterature Straniere". dipartimentolingue.unito.it. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- "Serenella Iovino - Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society - LMU Munich". carsoncenter.uni-muenchen.de. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- "University of California, San Diego, lecture". italoamericano.org. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- "La Stampa - Ecocritica, ovvero della letteratura ecologica". Archived from the original on 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- "Preconference Seminar - Tenth Biennial ASLE Conference - May 28 to June 1, 2013". asle.ku.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-30.