Sergio Álvarez Conde
Sergio with Celta in 2015
|Full name||Sergio Álvarez Conde|
|Date of birth||3 August 1986|
|Place of birth||Catoira, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2008–2009||→ Racing Ferrol (loan)||15||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 November 2017
Born in Catoira, Pontevedra, Sergio began his career with local Arosa SC, joining Galician neighbours Celta de Vigo in 1999 at the age of 13. He made his senior debuts with the B-side in Segunda División B, playing four full seasons in the category and spending 2008–09 on loan to another club in that level and region, Racing de Ferrol.
Sergio made his debut for Celta's first team on 4 June 2011, in a 3–0 Segunda División home win against FC Cartagena, the last matchday of the campaign. Shortly after, following the starter Ismael Falcón's departure to Hércules CF, he was definitely promoted to the main squad, being awarded the #1 jersey.
Varas subsequently returned to Sevilla from his loan but Sergio remained as understudy, behind fellow youth graduate Yoel. After the latter's departure to Valencia CF, he renewed his link until 2016 and was finally chosen as first-choice.
On 1 November 2014, Sergio made a string of superb saves to deny FC Barcelona in a 1–0 win at the Camp Nou. He was also an important unit of the Célticos in a 2–0 home success against Atlético Madrid, on 15 February of the following year, finishing the season as an ever-present.
In 2016–17, Sergio took part in his first European campaign, playing 10 UEFA Europa League matches as Celta reached the semi-finals and lost 2–1 on aggregate to eventual champions Manchester United. The following season, under new manager Juan Carlos Unzué, he battled for the starting position against youngster Rubén Blanco.
- As of 12 June 2018
- El “gato” de moda del fútbol español sitúa a Catoira en el mapa internacional (The fashionable "cat" of Spanish football places Catoira in the international map); Diario de Arousa, 25 September 2014 (in Spanish)
- Sergio, «O Gato» que vuela de pie (Sergio, "The Cat" who flies standing); La Voz de Galicia, 25 September 2014 (in Spanish)
- Balaídos se reencuentra con el triunfo justo antes de la promoción (Balaídos rediscovers winning ways just before the promotion); Marca, 4 June 2011 (in Spanish)
- Sergio Álvarez: «No me he rendido nunca y ahora voy a luchar por jugar» (Sergio Álvarez: «I have never surrendered and now i will fight for a place»); La Voz de Galicia, 30 June 2011 (in Spanish)
- El Celta defiende su casa (Celta defend their home); Marca, 5 October 2012 (in Spanish)
- Sergio Álvarez renueva hasta 2016: "Cumplo un sueño" (Sergio Álvarez renews until 2016: "I fulfill a dream"); Diario AS, 20 August 2014 (in Spanish)
- Palo tras palo para el Barça (Post after post for Barça); Marca, 1 November 2014 (in Spanish)
- El Celta zarandea al Atlético (Celta shake up Atlético); Marca, 15 February 2015 (in Spanish)
- Sergio Álvarez: "Ha sido la mejor temporada de mi carrera" (Sergio Álvarez: "It's been the best season of my career); Marca, 25 May 2015 (in Spanish)
- Man Utd 1 Celta Vigo 1 (2–1 on agg): United dice with danger but cling on to make it through to the final; The Daily Telegraph, 11 May 2017
- EXCLUSIVA | El Celta se cansa de la guerra Rubén Blanco – Sergio Álvarez y negocia con su próximo portero (EXCLUSIVE | Celta are getting tired of the Rubén Blanco – Sergio Álvarez war and are negotiating with their next goalkeeper); El Gol Digital, 22 October 2017
- "Sergio Álvarez". Soccerway. Retrieved 25 April 2014.