|Irish name||Seán Ó Dónaill|
15 June 1994 |
Ennis, Clare, Ireland
|2011-||Éire Óg, Ennis|
Born in Ennis, County Clare, O'Donnell first arrived on the inter-county scene at the age of sixteen when he first linked up with the Clare minor team, before later lining out with the under-21 side. He made his senior debut in the 2013 Waterford Crystal Cup. O'Donnell has since gone on to play a key part for Clare, and has won one All-Ireland medal and one Waterford Crystal Cup medal.
At club level O'Donnell plays with Éire Óg, Ennis.
O'Donnell made his senior debut during the pre-season Waterford Crystal Cup in 2013. It was a successful campaign for Clare, as a 1-21 to 1-13 defeat of Tipperary gave O'Donnell a winners' medal in that competition. Later that year he made his championship debut at left corner-forward in a Munster quarter-final defeat of Waterford. The rest of the championship campaign saw O'Donnell dropped from the starting fifteen for several games, however, he was a late addition at full-forward for Clare's All-Ireland final replay against Cork. His selection seemed surprising but was justified, as O'Donnell scored a hat-trick of goals in the first nineteen minutes of the game. Further goals from Conor McGrath and Darach Honan secured a 5-16 to 3-16 victory following a classic championship decider. The win gave O'Donnell an All-Ireland medal, while he was also named man of the match. In October 2013, O'Donnell won the Opel Player of the Month Award for September.
- All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2013
- All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (2): 2013 2014
- Munster Under-21 Hurling Championship (2): 2013 2014
- Munster Minor Hurling Championship (1) : 2011
- Waterford Crystal Cup (1): 2013
- Brophy, Shane (11 February 2013). "Clare click into gear as Tipperary flounder". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Three new faces for Clare". Hogan Stand website. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- O'Flynn, Diarmuid (30 September 2013). "A day borrowed from the hurling gods". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Fogarty, John (30 September 2013). "O’Donnell living the ‘ridiculous’ dream". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Clerkin, Malachy (30 September 2013). "The hurler with the boyband looks, Shane O’Donnell was Clare’s hero against Cork". Irish Times. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Hurling hero Shane O’Donnell: ‘My mother is my agent’". Irish Independent. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Shane O'Donnell: How a helmet saved my life". Irish Independent. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
|All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final
Man of the Match