Sherod Santos (born September 9, 1948 in Greenville, South Carolina) is an American poet, essayist, translator and playwright. His newest poetry collection, The Square Inch Hours (W.W. Norton) is forthcoming in 2016. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Paris Review, The Nation, Poetry, The Royal Court Theatre, Proscenium Theatre Journal, American Poetry Review, and The New York Times Book Review. His plays have been produced at the Algonquin Theatre in New York City, The Side Project in Chicago, The Brooklyn International Theatre Festival, and the Flint Michigan Play Festival.
His many honors and awards include an Academy Award for Literary Excellence from the American Academy of Arts & Letters, a Guggenheim Fellowship, The Umhoefer Prize for Achievement in the Humanities, a National Endowment for the Arts Grant, the Theodore Roethke Memorial Prize. He was also a finalist for The New Yorker Book Award in Poetry, The National Book Critics Circle Award, and The National Book Award. From 1990 to 1998 he served as external examiner and poet-in-residence at the Poets' House outside Belfast, Northern Ireland.
He lives in Chicago, Illinois.
Honors and awards
- 2006 Umhoefer Prize for Achievement in the Humanities for Greek Lyric Poetry: A New Translation
- 2002 Theodore Roethke Poetry Prize for The Pilot Star Elegies
- 2001 National Book Critics Circle Award for Criticism Finalist for A Poetry of Two Minds
- 2000 National Book Award Finalist
- 1999 Academy Award for Literary Excellence from the American Academy of Arts & Letters
- 1999 The New Yorker Book Award in Poetry Finalist
- 1998 Bernard F. Connors Prize for Poetry from the Paris Review for "Elegy for My Sister"
- 1987 National Endowment for the Arts fellowship
- 1995 British Arts Council International Travel Grant
- 1984 The Robert Frost Place poet in residence in Franconia, New Hampshire
- 1983 Delmore Schwartz Memorial Award
- 1983 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 1982 Ingram Merrill Foundation fellowship
- 1981 Oscar Blumenthal Prize from Poetry magazine
- 1980 Pushcart Prize in both poetry and the essay
- 1978 "Discovery"/The Nation Award
Full-Length Poetry Collections
- The Square Inch Hours. W. W. Norton & Company. Forthcoming in 2016.
- The Intricated Soul. W. W. Norton & Company. 2010. ISBN 978-0-393-07216-7.
- The Perishing. W. W. Norton & Company. 2004. ISBN 978-0-393-32576-8.
- The Pilot Star Elegies. W. W. Norton & Company. 2000. ISBN 978-0-393-32049-7.
- The City of Women. W. W. Norton & Company. 1994. ISBN 978-0-393-31175-4.
- The Southern Reaches. Wesleyan University Press. 1989.
- Accidental Weather. Doubleday & Company, Inc. 1982.
- International Who's Who in Poetry 2004. Taylor & Francis. 2004. ISBN 978-1-85743-178-0.
- "Page not found - The New Yorker". newyorker.com. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- "Home | The Nation". thenation.com. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- "Sherod Santos - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation". gf.org. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Audio: Sherod Santos reads Variation on a Theme (I) from The Intricated Soul
- Poems: Slate Magazine > May 6, 2008 > A Place in Maine by Sherod Santos
- Poems: Poetry Society of America > The Book of Blessings by Sherod Santos
- Poem: Poetry Foundation > from Elegy for My Sister by Sherod Santos
- Poem: Valpariso Poetry Review > A Writer's Life by Sherod Santos