Shi Jiuyong (simplified Chinese: 史久镛; traditional Chinese: 史久鏞; born 9 October 1926) is a former judge at the International Court of Justice (ICJ). Shi was elected to the ICJ on 6 February 1994, and became President nine years later on 6 February 2003. In 2010, he announced his resignation from the Court which happened on 28 May 2010.
Shi Jiuyong, growing up in a relatively wealthy household, was educated in English at the British-run Lester Institute and went on to study law at Saint John's University, Shanghai and obtained a bachelor's degree on politics. Afterward he went to United States and studied at Columbia Law School, New York City, where he obtained postgraduate degree in international law.
From 1956 to 1958, he held various teaching and fellowship positions at international affairs colleges and institutes around Beijing.
He became a professor of international law at the Foreign Affairs College, Beijing, in 1984. Since the 1980s he has served as an international law representative of the People's Republic of China through various important international conventions and treaties, including the Sino-British negotiations on the status of Hong Kong. Professor Shi is also a former member and chairman of the International Law Commission. He has lectured on international law throughout China and the English-speaking world, including a stint at the Hague Academy of International Law.
Rise to the Hague
Shi was elected to the ICJ on 6 Feb. 1994, and became the president on 6 Feb. 2003 at the age of 77. It was also the first time that a Chinese judge became president of the ICJ. The foreign minister of the People's Republic of China Tang Jiaxuan sent his personal warm congratulations to Shi.
He is the author of numerous publications on international law.
- 《外交庇护》 (Diplomatic asylum)
- 《条约法讲演集》 (Lectures on the Law of Treaties)
- 《南极的法律问题》 (Legal Issues of Antarctica)
- 《普遍优惠制度与国际贸易》 (The Generalised System of Preferences and International Trade)
- 《香港与关税和贸易总协定》 (Hong Kong and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade)
- Asia and International Law: A New Era Distinguished Speakers Panel in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- The Present and Future Role of the International Court of Justice in the Peaceful Settlement of International Disputes in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- "UN Security Council sets June date for filling vacancy at International Court of Justice". People's Daily. March 18, 2010.
- "Judge Shi Jiuyong, former President and former Vice-President of the Court, will resign as a Member of the Court with effect from 28 May 2010" (PDF) (Press release). International Court of Justice. 2010-05-11. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- 史久镛当选国际法院院长 唐家璇致电祝贺(全文)