ShopStyle is a digital shopping platform owned by media and technology company PopSugar Inc. and later acquired by Ebates. Launched in 2007 as a Web search engine for fashion, it was thereafter transformed into a fashion marketplace and inspiration engine. ShopStyle lists over 14 million products across apparel, accessories, beauty, home furnishings and kids' items. It drives $1 billion in gross sales to its global network of 1,400 retailers. ShopStyle is also the commerce engine behind ShopStyle Collective, a network of 14,000 bloggers, vloggers and social media users who use ShopStyle’s platform to earn money from the sales they drive to retailers.
ShopStyle was thought-up by San Francisco-based UK expat Andy Moss in 2006 while he was running local e-commerce website Cairo and noticed that shoes were among the most popular items searched for there. The technology behind ShopStyle was created by a group of engineers Moss had met while working at Ariba (now SAP Ariba), including Trey Matteson, Garrick Toubassi and Mike Lenz. The US website launched in February 2007 with a focus on aesthetics and user experience in an attempt to recreate a magazine-like experience digitally. It was variously described as an online equivalent of a shopping mall or a shoppable digital magazine. In September 2007 PopSugar Inc. (then Sugar Publishing) purchased ShopStyle for an undisclosed sum. After the acquisition, ShopStyle focused its efforts on broadening out the product count, retailer expansion and becoming a search engine for fashion By the end of 2015 ShopStyle’s global sites generated five million searches per week and listed 12 million products from 1,400 retailers.
- Inc, POPSUGAR. "POPSUGAR Inc. Announces Plans To Launch ShopStyle Checkout". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- "Ebates Acquires ShopStyle From PopSugar Inc". www.businesswire.com. 2017-02-24. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- "ShopStyle: Expansion takes it from search to digital marketplace". fashionandmash.com. 23 February 2016.
- Shields, Mike (12 February 2016). "PopSugar Wants to Become the Mobile Shopping Cart for Fashion" – via Wall Street Journal.
- "Roadster's Andy Moss: A Different Kind of Silicon Valley Entrepreneur". Roadster Blog. 2015-07-06. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- "Roadster's Andy Moss: A Different Kind of Silicon Valley Entrepreneur". roadster.com. 6 July 2015.
- "Social Shopping at ShopStyle". businessoffashion.com. 28 April 2009.
- "Trey Matteson". angel.co.
- "Garrick Toubassi: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". bloomberg.com.
- "Mike Lenz". angel.co.
- "Sugar swallows Shopstyle — battle for women online continues". venturebeat.com.
- Kiss, Jemima (17 November 2008). "Elevator Pitch: ShopStyle wants to do online fashion just that little bit better". theguardian.com.
- "ShopStyle Changing The Game For Bloggers & Retailers - Fashion Trends Daily". fashiontrendsdaily.com.