|Industry||Music instrument manufacture|
|Founded||California, United States (1974)|
|Headquarters||Valley Ford, California, United States|
|Rick Shubb (co-founder), Dave Coontz (co-founder)|
|Products||Original Shubb Capo
Shubb Capo Noir
Shubb Deluxe Capo
Fifth String Capo for Banjo
Capo for Dobro
Robert Randolph Steels
Axys Reversible Guitar Slide
Talon Guitar Stand
Transposing and Capo Placement Guide
Number of employees
Shubb is a company that specialises in producing capos for all kinds of stringed instruments. The company was formed in 1974 by banjoists Rick Shubb and Dave Coontz. Shubb capos remain a "top-selling" capo forty years after their invention. Shubb wanted to create a capo that would not make his instrument go out of tune, which has resulted in ongoing efforts to refine his invention.
The Shubb Capo utilises an over-centre locking action, which is lever operated. The design includes a screw for adjusting the clamp's tightness, and has been described as "a turning point in modern capo design."
Shubb capos are available in variety of models to fit different types of guitars, banjos, dobros, and ukuleles. For example, there are Shubb Capos for Steel String Guitar which fit most acoustic and electric guitars; the Shubb Capos for Nylon String Guitar are designed for guitars with wide flat fretboards, etc. Furthermore, each model is available in different styles, namely Original (nickel-plated or plain, unplated brass), Capo Noir (black chrome) and Deluxe (stainless steel with improved roller design on the lever).
An advantage with using this type of capo is that it does not change the intonation in a way that makes the instrument difficult to tune, as it "mimics the grip of a human hand." A disadvantage is that the rubber sleeve may wear, and may need to be replaced.
Notable Shubb capo users
Notable users of the Shub capo include:
- Brian Setzer 
- Keith Richards 
- Pete Seeger 
- Jerry Garcia 
- Bruce Springsteen 
- Doc Watson 
- "Rick Shubb". NAMM Oral History Interviews. June 20, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Shubb Capo Celebrates 40th Year: Patented Design Remains a Top Seller after Four Decades". Music Trades, via HighBeam Research. February 1, 2014. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "Shubb Guitar Capo - Guitar Capos". www.theguitarcapo.com. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- "How Rick Shubb created the perfect capo for guitars - February 1, 2007". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "How to use a Shubb style Capo - Guitar Gear". Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- "US Patent # 4,250,790. Capo - Patents.com". www.patents.com. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- "US Patent # 5,792,969. Capo - Patents.com". www.patents.com. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Rooksby, Rikky (2003-07-01). The Guitarist's Guide to the Capo. Artemis Music Ltd. p. 11. ISBN 9781904411154.
- Rooksby, Rikky (2003-07-01). The Guitarist's Guide to the Capo. Artemis Music Ltd. pp. 14–17. ISBN 9781904411154.
- "Shubb L9 Lite Uke Capo". Ukulele Underground. February 28, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Waterman, Doug (December 18, 2009). "#6: Shubb Capo. SHUBB Deluxe S1 Capo for Steel String Guitar". American Songwriter. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Legg, Adrian (February 2009). "Capo-tastic! Playing Techniques". Performing Musician + Live Sound World. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Bennett, Stephen (2011-02-11). The Stephen Bennett Fingerstyle Collection. Mel Bay Publications. p. 6. ISBN 9781610651400.
- Business 2.0. Imagine Media. 2007-01-01. p. 8.
- Phillips, T.S. "Shubb Partial Capo". TSP Guitar, Accessories, Reviews. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Proctor, Chris (2005-02-01). Chris Proctor Guitar Collection. Alfred Music Publishing. p. 9. ISBN 9780757936838.
- Reid, Harvey. A Careful Comparison of Shubb, Kyser Esus (3-string) Partial Capos. Harvey Reid's PartialCapo.com. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- News and links, Brian Setzer.com
- Gulla, Bob (2009-01-01). Guitar Gods: The 25 Players who Made Rock History. ABC-CLIO. p. 178. ISBN 9780313358067.
- Eck, Michael (Fall 2009). "To Great Lengths: The far reach of Pete Seeger and his longneck five-string banjo". The Fretboard Journal (15). Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Wissmuller, Christian. "At 40 Years, Shubb Capos Keeps Firm Grip on the Market". MMR magazine. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- Carr, Joe (2013-11-11). Play Like a Legend: Doc Watson. Mel Bay Publications. p. 3. ISBN 9781619114333.
- A Careful Comparison of Shubb, Kyser Esus (3-string) Partial Capos, by Harvey Reid
- Intonation, A capo's greatest challenge, Shubb Official Website
- Official Shubb Website
- Rick Shubb Interview NAMM Oral History Library (2010)
- Dave Coontz Interview NAMM Oral History Library (2014)