Shuffle Off to Buffalo
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Shuffle Off to Buffalo"|
"Shuffle Off to Buffalo" is a song written by Al Dubin and Harry Warren and introduced in the 1933 musical film 42nd Street when it was sung and danced by Ruby Keeler and Clarence Nordstrom. It was also sung in the film by Ginger Rogers, Una Merkel, and Chorus.
Popular recordings in 1933 were by Don Bestor (vocal by Maurice Cross) and by Hal Kemp (vocal by Skinnay Ennis). The song was also popular on the radio in that year and was later performed and recorded by the Boswell Sisters, the Three X Sisters and The Andrews Sisters.
The lyrics talk about going by railroad train "to Niag'ra in a sleeper" for a honeymoon. Niagara Falls, near Buffalo, New York, was long a popular honeymoon destination. Earlier use of phrases similar to the title in US popular tunes include the 1927 tune "Off to Buffalo" by Joe Candullo and Jack Carroll, recorded by Fletcher Henderson's Orchestra, and Irving Berlin's lyrics to George Botsford's 1910 hit "The Grizzly Bear" which includes the line "Show your darling beau just how you go to Buffalo".. Also, the 1985 John Fogerty song, "Rock and Roll Girls," from his album Centerfield contains the lyrics, "If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo and sit by the lake and watch the world go by."
- "Internet Movie Database". imdb.com. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 578. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- ""Shuffle Off to Buffalo", lyrics from '42nd Street' Warner Brothers 1933" (PDF). Csus.edu. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-11-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Columbia matrix W142845. Off to Buffalo / Dixie Stompers - Discography of American Historical Recordings". Adp.library.ucsb.edu. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Grizzly bear [music]". Nla.gov.au. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- Shuffle Off to Buffalo. BufWiki - The Peoples Guide to the Community of Buffalo, NY. Accessed 2013-02-23.