3 November 1981 |
|Pro Tour debut||2002 Pro Tour San Diego|
|Pro Tour wins (Top 8)||0 (6)|
|Grand Prix wins (Top 8)||7 (27)|
|Lifetime Pro Points||595|
|Planeswalker Level||50 (Archmage)|
Shuhei Nakamura (中村 修平 Nakamura Shūhei, born 3 November 1981) is one of the most successful professional Magic: The Gathering players. He has reached the Top 8 of six Pro Tours and won seven Grands Prix, as well as being the 2008 Pro Player of the Year. In 2011, he was inducted into the Magic: The Gathering Hall of Fame.
Nakamura's first success came in a second place at Grand Prix Kobe in 2001. This qualified him for Pro Tour New Orleans. However, he chose not to attend. In January 2002 he played his first Pro Tour in San Diego.
Managing several Top 8 at Japanese Grand Prix, a Top 8 appearance at Pro Tour Columbus in 2005 was his first major showing on the Pro Tour. He followed this finish with another Top 8 at the World Championship the same season. Ultimately, Nakamura would finish fourth in the Player of the Year standings with 66 Pro Points.
In 2006 Nakamura achieved several high finishes at Limited events, including third places at PT Prague and GP Toulouse. Eventually he also won his first major tournament, Grand Prix St. Louis 2006, immediately backing up the victory by winning the next Grand Prix event in Hiroshima four weeks later. As both of his Grand Prix wins were in the Coldsnap limited format, Shuhei earned the nickname 'Snowmaster'. Nakamura gained 56 Pro Points throughout the season placing him second in the 2006 Player of the Year Race, only four points behind winner Shouta Yasooka.
The 2008 season started off perfect with a victory in the first professional tournament of the season, Grand Prix Stuttgart. This victory made him only the third player to have won a Grand Prix in Europe, Asia, and North America. Nakamura proceeded to manage Top 4 finishes at Pro Tour Hollywood, Grand Prix Copenhagen, and Grand Prix Rimini. He finished the season with 70 Pro Points to become Pro Player of the Year. Nakamura was the fourth of five Japanese players to win the Player of the Year title in a row, preceded by Kenji Tsumura, Shouta Yasooka, Tomoharu Saito and followed by Yuuya Watanabe. Nakamura has personally referred to this period as a 'golden age' for Magic in Japan.
On 19 August 2011 it was announced that Nakamura will be inducted into the Magic: The Gathering Hall of Fame along with Steven O'Mahoney-Schwartz and Anton Jonsson. The ceremony took place on 17 November at the 2011 Magic: The Gathering World Championship.
In the 2012 season, Shuhei placed tenth in the Pro Players Club Standings at the end of the season with 51 Pro Points. This performance earned Nakamura an invite to the inaugural 2012 Magic Players Championship. Shuhei would take fifth place at the inaugural event, narrowly missing the cut to Top 4.
|2001–02||Grand Prix||Kobe||Block Constructed||18–19 August 2001||2|
|2001–02||Grand Prix||Fukuoka||Limited||16–17 February 2002||8|
|2001–02||Grand Prix||Nagoya||Team Limited||11–12 May 2002||2|
|2002–03||Grand Prix||Utsunomiya||Limited||12–13 October 2002||2|
|2003–04||Nationals||Osaka||Special||11–13 June 2004||4|
|2003–04||Grand Prix||Yokohama||Block Constructed||23–24 August 2004||6|
|2005||Pro Tour||Columbus, Ohio||Extended||29–31 October 2004||2|
|2005||Grand Prix||Seattle||Extended||5–6 March 2005||3|
|2005||Grand Prix||Matsuyama||Limited||14–15 May 2005||6|
|2005||Worlds||Yokohama||Special||30 November–4 December 2005||5|
|2006||Pro Tour||Prague||Limited||5–7 May 2006||3|
|2006||Grand Prix||Toulouse||Limited||24–25 June 2006||3|
|2006||Grand Prix||St. Louis||Limited||22–23 July 2006||1|
|2006||Grand Prix||Hiroshima||Limited||19–20 August 2006||1|
|2007||Pro Tour||Valencia, Spain||Extended||12–14 October 2007||4|
|2007||Invitational||Essen||Special||18–21 October 2007||6|
|2008||Grand Prix||Stuttgart||Limited||15–16 December 2007||1|
|2008||Pro Tour||Hollywood||Standard||23–25 May 2008||3|
|2008||Grand Prix||Copenhagen||Standard||23–24 August 2008||4|
|2008||Grand Prix||Rimini||Block Constructed||13–14 September 2008||2|
|2009||Grand Prix||Rotterdam||Limited||21–22 February 2009||3|
|2009||Nationals||Hiroshima||Standard and Booster Draft||18–20 July 2009||1|
|2010||Grand Prix||Houston||Extended||3–4 April 2010||5|
|2010||Grand Prix||Florence||Sealed and Booster Draft||27–28 November 2010||3|
|2011||Grand Prix||Prague||Sealed and Booster Draft||21–22 May 2011||3|
|2012||Grand Prix||Nashville||Sealed and Booster Draft||17–18 March 2012||8|
|2012–13||Grand Prix||San Jose, Costa Rica||Sealed and Booster Draft||15–16 September 2012||1|
|2012–13||Grand Prix||Philadelphia||Sealed and Booster Draft||27–28 October 2012||1|
|2013–14||Grand Prix||Providence||Team Limited||8–9 June 2013||4|
|2013–14||Grand Prix||Houston||Sealed and Booster Draft||15–16 June 2013||7|
|2013–14||Grand Prix||Hong Kong||Sealed and Booster Draft||19–20 October 2013||1|
|2013–14||Grand Prix||Beijing||Standard||29–30 March 2014||5|
|2014–15||Grand Prix||Shanghai||Sealed and Booster Draft||4–5 October 2014||5|
|2014–15||Grand Prix||Dallas/Fort Worth||Sealed and Booster Draft||25–26 July 2015||1|
|2015–16||Grand Prix||Kobe||Standard||21–22 November 2015||8|
|2015–16||Pro Tour||Atlanta||Modern and Booster Draft||5–7 February 2016||5|
Last updated: 7 February 2016
Source: Event Coverage Archive at Wizards.com
- 2008 Pro Player of the Year
- 2011 Hall of Fame class (vote leader)
- Most Grand Prix wins (7), tied with Kai Budde and Yuuya Watanabe
- Shuhei Nakamura 2007 Pro Player card (from the Magic: The Gathering Time Spiral expansion)
- "Top 200 All-Time Money Leaders". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Lifetime Pro Tour Top 8s". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Lifetime Grand Prix Top 8s". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Canali Crushes Columbus". Wizards of the Coast. 2004-10-31. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Worlds 2005: Japan's Crowning Achievement". Wizards of the Coast. 2005-12-04. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Osawa’s Wurms Flog Prague". Wizards of the Coast. 2006-05-07. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Pro Tour Hall of Fame 2011: Shuhei Nakamura" (Video). Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "2006 Player of the Year Race". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Fortier Reigns in Spain". Wizards of the Coast. 2007-10-14. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Gindy Puts Name in Lights". Wizards of the Coast. 2008-05-28. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "2008 Pro Tour Player of the Year". Wizards of the Coast. 2008-12-22. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Nakamura, Shuhei (29 September 2011). "Feature Article – Shouta Yasooka – English". ChannelFireball.com. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Shuuhei Rocks Japan!". Wizards of the Coast. 20 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- "Introducing the 2011 Hall of Fame Class". Wizards of the Coast. 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "2012 Pro Players Club Standings". Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
|Pro Player of the Year
|Magic Japanese National Champion