Sibiu Philharmonic Orchestra
This article does not cite any sources. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In the 16th century, Sibiu had one of the first European schools for organ, funded by Hyeronymus Ostermayer and the city’s archive contains music scores signed by composers of the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1774, at the court of Samuel von Brukenthal, governor of Transylvania, a professional orchestra held its first concert. In 1792, one year after Mozart’s death, Die Entführung aus dem Serail was played in Sibiu, and later in 1800, The Creation, by Joseph Haydn.
The State Philharmonic of Sibiu was founded on January 1, 1949. Together with the orchestra, artists from Romania and other countries have performed, among them: Ion Voicu, Valentin Gheorghiu, Ștefan Ruha, Monique de La Bruchollerie and Jean Jaques Thiollier, Sviatoslav Richter, Rudolf Kerer, Lazar Berman, Dimitri Bashkirov, Ivry Gitlis, and Montserrat Caballé.
In 2004, the location of the State Philharmonic of Sibiu was moved to Thalia Hall. Built in 1787 by Martin Hochmeister, the hall has been twice destroyed by fire during its history. The County Council of Sibiu restarted the restoration of the building in 1990. The official inauguration took place on October 7, 2004, with the music of the Symphony no. 9 by Ludwig van Beethoven.
The Orchestra today
- 1st violin: Marius Radu - concert master, Sergiu Fidiles - concert master, Lilia Radu, Ilia Rusnac, Vasile Șulț, Ludmila Lungu, Raluca Sfîriac, Daniel Bădăruță, Irina Dancu, Cotîrlea Iuliana, Ioan Andrei Moldovan, Ștefana Zaharia, Teodorian Popa
- 2nd violin: Elena Borz, Mihai Andrițcu, Ionuț Cristian Bugnar, Mădălina Tătărușanu, Eduard Dascaliuc, timea Gaudi, Costin Urlăeanu, Ioana Gavrilas
- Viola: Gabriel Silișteanu, Alina Stavăr, Aurelia Mailat, Mihaela Scheau, Terez Mihály, Tiberiu Maniu, Ioana Șulț
- Cello: Alexandru Titus Tincu, Makcim Fernandez Samodaiev, Anca Demian, Claudia Grelus, Ina Turoiu, Zach Viorica, Silviu Chiorlise
- Double Bass: Valentin Desaga, Chirila Adam, Bartha Robert, Andrei Sarafie
- Flute: Oana Florentina Bădescu, Cozmin Demian
- Oboe: Lucia Dobri, Romanino Lucian Popa
- Clarinet: Florin Grelus, Ciprian Dancu, Vasile Petcu
- Bassoon: Adam Raduly, Mircea Ittu, Ovidiu Borz
- Horn: Antonio Mihail, Barta Tivadar, Alin Roman
- Trumpet: Medve Sandor, Dorin Petcu, Traian Moldoveanu
- Trombone: Ion Palagniuc, Radu Munteanu, Emanuel Dombi
- Tuba: Daniel Luca
- Percussion: Radu Craciun, Andrei Marcovici, Alexandru Craciun
- Pian: Monica Florescu
- Harp: Ileana Rotaru
- www.filarmonicasibiu.ro - Official site