Sid Vale Association
The Sid Vale Association, (SVA), is a voluntary, conservation charity. It is headquartered in the coastal town of Sidmouth in the English county of Devon. Following the government's restructuring of the legal framework for Charities the SVA was registered as CIO No 1154749 on 26th November 2013.
It was the first Civic Society in Britain, founded in 1846 by John Carslake. It focuses on preserving and enhancing the civic fabric and the countryside of the Sid valley and encouraging public enjoyment of facilities in the valley. The Society owns over 50 acres (200,000 m2) of the countryside surrounding Sidmouth and has done extensive work within and around the town especially around 'The Byes Walk' that runs from Sidford to Sidmouth. Some of the association's works were the development of 'Margaret's Meadow' and the preservation of 'Bluebell Wood' located on Salcombe Hill, Sidmouth.
It administers the Keith Owen fund. Owen left a considerable sum of money to the town in 2008. Grants are made annually from the interest of the capital he left to encourage and support initiatives which enhance the area and promote leisure and pleasure facilities
- President - Rev. Handel Bennett
- Chairman - Mr Alan Darrant
- Vice Chairman - Mr Ed Harrison
- General secretary - Ms Liz Warren
- Treasurer - Mr. Neville Staddon
- Cornish, James George and Potbury, H.S. The story of the River Sid Sidmouth, Sid Vale Association (1927) 12 pp.
- Gibbens, G H Ed Strolls Around Sidmouth Using Your Car Sidmouth, Sid Vale Association (1963)
- Wilson, Ronald Eliot Salcombe Regis sketches. Sid Vale Association (1975) 28p, plates: ill, map, ISBN 0-9504307-0-6
- Bypaths around Sidmouth : [12 walks with many local notes and a special large double map] Sidmouth, Sid Vale Association (1983)
- Creeke, Julia Historic Sidmouth : life and times in Sidmouth : a guide to blue plaques Sidmouth, Sid Vale Association (c1992) 56p, drawings by David Bridgeman, ISBN 1-85522-179-9
- An up to date list of publications by the SVA will be found here:-http://www.sidvaleassociation.org.uk/index.php?page=bookshop
- Richmond Independent. "Clubs, charities and societies in the Sid Valley". The Sidmouth Diary. Retrieved 2006-11-23.
- Brian Randell (2006). "Sidmouth". Genuki. Retrieved 2006-11-23.
- "Strolls Around Sidmouth Using Your Car". ANTIQBOOK. Archived from the original on October 31, 2005. Retrieved 2006-11-23.
- Brian Randell (2005). "Salcombe Regis". Genuki. Retrieved 2006-11-23.
- "Search terms: Sid Vale Association ; sorted on Title, date". COPAC. Retrieved 2006-11-26.