In the army
Sidney Walton was inducted in the U.S. Army on March 4, 1941. While in the army, he attended Virginia Polytechnic Institute, received a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering on April 1, 1944. He received medical training in India in Dibrugarh (Assam), and served as a medic.
The "No Regrets Tour"
Walton missed a historic moment to meet some of the last American Civil War veterans when he was younger. Inspired by this regret, Sidney Walton has embarked on a full-time “No Regrets Tour” to give all Americans the opportunity to meet a real Veteran.
Sidney Walton is meeting each state governor, and hundreds of thousands of patriotic Americans. His 100th birthday was celebrated in the White House, February 11 2019.
The Rhode Island legislature recently passed a resolution in Walton's honor declaring: "As the 'Greatest Generation' passes away, here is one last opportunity to thank a member of that generation who served our nation so nobly through its period of greatest need. Their contributions to our nation and to the preservation of civilization itself should never be forgotten".
So far, Sidney Walton has met sixteen state governors on his tour.
List of Governors Sidney Walton has met on the "No Regrets Tour"
- Gina Raimondo, Rhode Island
- Charlie Baker, Massachusetts
- Paul LePage, Maine
- Dannel Malloy, Connecticut
- Andrew Cuomo, New York
- Phil Murphy and First Lady Tammy Murphy, New Jersey
- Eric Holcomb, Indiana
- Pete Ricketts, Nebraska
- Bill Haslam, Tennessee
- Matt Bevin, Kentucky
- Bruce Rauner, Illinois
- Rick Scott, Florida
- Bill Walker, Alaska
- David Ige, Hawaii
- Jay Inslee, Washington
- Kate Brown, Oregon
- Bell, Diane. "At 99, WW II vet gets travel bug to visit all 50 states in a year". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "H8104". webserver.rilin.state.ri.us. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- Reynolds, Mark. "WWII veteran, 99, on mission to visit all 50 states | Video". providencejournal.com. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "WWII Veteran Visits Charlie Baker". www.bostonglobe.com. April 2018.
- "News Center Maine". newscentermaine.com.
- staff, WTNH com (2018-05-11). "WWII vet stops in Connecticut on mission to meet nation's governors". WTNH. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "99-year-old US WWII vet's mission: Visit every state". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- Murphy, Governor Phil (2018-05-24). "Honored to meet 99-year-old WWII Army veteran Sidney Walton on his "No Regrets Tour" – visiting every state and meeting every governor in the U.S. Thank you for visiting us, and we are grateful for your service.pic.twitter.com/htkfWQtYAJ". @govmurphy. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "WWII veteran on mission to visit all 50 states stops in Indianapolis". 13 WTHR Indianapolis. 2018-05-28. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Gov. Ricketts Welcomes WWII Veteran to Nebraska | Office of Governor Pete Ricketts". governor.nebraska.gov. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Gov. Haslam Meets With WWII Veteran". WTVF. 2018-06-20. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "WWII veteran is touring the states then hopes to meet President Trump". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- Espinosa, Ana (2018-07-03). "One of oldest living WWII veterans meets Gov. Bruce Rauner". WICS. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Gov. Scott welcomes WWII vet on 'National No Regrets Tour'". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Globe-trotting WWII veteran visits Anchorage on 'No Regrets Tour'". www.ktva.com. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- Staff, H. N. N. "A 99-year-old WWII veteran is stopping in Hawaii on a special year-long journey". www.hawaiinewsnow.com. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "World War II vet on tour with 50-state goal | The Spokesman-Review". www.spokesman.com. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Veteran on tour to meet all 50 governors meets with Gov. Brown". KGW. Retrieved 2018-12-10.