This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Stable release||6.0 (1 March 2007) (Discontinued)|
|Operating system||Windows or Mac OS X|
SightSpeed is a videoconferencing company, supplying VoIP and instant messaging software for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh operating systems. The service allows people to make video calls, computer-to-computer voice calls, and calls to regular telephones, with free and paid versions.
In October 2008, the company was acquired by Logitech for $30 million. The Logitech Vid service is based on SightSpeed's technology. Due to competing software, the Logitech Vid video calling service will be discontinued as of 1 July 2013 and the downloading of the product has already been terminated. As a result, Logitech is no longer accepting new account registrations.
SightSpeed's network technology is SIP based.
- SightSpeed users are able to have free video calls with each other.
- Video Mail messages can be sent to any e-mail address.
- The SightSpeed software is able to host video conferences with up to nine participants.
- "Phone Out" is the name of the service that allows users to make phone calls to landlines and mobile phones, paying with pre-paid credit. "Phone In" allows SightSpeed users to receive phone calls from regular telephones.
The main criticisms are:
- Lack of true privacy features such as encryption.
- SightSpeed "Phone Out" does not support outbound caller ID in the United States, where people commonly reject calls from unrecognized numbers. The recipient sees "unknown" or a blank field instead of the caller ID number.
- Though it uses the SIP standard it is not interoperable with SIP networks and can only be used with a SightSpeed account.
- Robin Wauters (29 October 2008). "Logitech Coughs Up $30 Million To Acquire SightSpeed". TechCrunch.
- SightSpeed 6.0 Review by PC Magazine
- PC World 100 Best Products of 2007
- ZDNet Review of SightSpeed
- The Mossberg Solution Reviews Logitech Vid - WSJ.com