Sihlwald railway station
Canton of Zürich,
|Owned by||Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn|
|Operated by||Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn|
Sihlwald is a railway station in the Sihl Valley, and the municipality of Horgen, in the Swiss Canton of Zürich. The station is on the Sihltal line, which is operated by the Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn (SZU). The station takes its name from the surrounding Sihlwald forest and nature reserve, whose visitor centre is adjacent to the station.
Sihlwald was the original terminus of the Sihtal line, which was opened from Bahnhof Selnau in Zürich in 1892. In 1897 the Sihltal line was extended to Sihlbrugg station and a connection with the Zürich to Lucerne line of the Swiss Northeastern Railway (NOB). The station retains a locomotive shed dating from the time of that extension that is used by the heritage railway association Zürcher Museums-Bahn.
Today, the station is the formal terminus of service S4 of the Zürich S-Bahn, although the situation within a protected forest and with few other traffic generators nearby means that most S4 trains terminate at Langnau-Gattikon, one stop nearer Zürich, leaving this station to be served by one train an hour. The stretch of railway beyond Sihlwald to Sihlbrugg still exists, but no longer carries a regular passenger train service. The station is served by the following passenger trains:
|Operator||Train Type||Route||Typical Frequency||Notes|
|Zürich Hbf - Zürich Selnau - Zürich Giesshübel - Zürich Saalsporthalle-Sihlcity - Zürich Brunau - Zürich Manegg - Zürich Leimbach - Sood-Oberleimbach - Adliswil - Sihlau - Wildpark-Höfli - Langnau-Gattikon - Sihlwald||1 train per hour|
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Geschichte der Sihltalbahn" [History of the Sihltalbahn] (PDF) (in German). SZU. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Bahn S4/S10" [Railway S4/S10] (in German). SZU. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 12–13. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- "Zürich HB–Adliswil–Langnau-Gattikon–Sihlwald" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Media related to Bahnhof Sihlwald at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a railway station in Switzerland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|