Silent Hour/Golden Mile
|Silent Hour / Golden Mile|
|EP by Daniel Rossen|
|Released||March 20, 2012|
|Recorded||Various Rooms, New York City; Miner Street Studio, Philadelphia, 2010-2011|
|Genre||Indie rock, psychedelic folk, baroque pop|
|The A.V. Club||A|
Silent Hour/Golden Mile is the debut solo EP by American indie rock musician Daniel Rossen, released on March 20, 2012 on Warp Records. The self-produced EP comprises tracks Rossen had initially written for Grizzly Bear's fourth studio album, Shields (2012).
Background and recording
Rossen ultimately decided to release a solo EP; a decision informed by the band's increasing collaborative nature. Rossen noted, "Recently the way it’s been feeling is that if I finish a song and the full form is there – the lyrics and an arrangement I’ve already decided on – that pretty much automatically means it’s something I should work on alone. It doesn’t really work well to force parts onto Grizzly Bear. [...] Grizzly Bear has become very collaborative, very collective. That’s kind of why [the] EP happened."
The majority of the EP was recorded in New York City, with Rossen stating, "I didn’t fully move out of the city but I was spending the majority of my time in upstate New York, a lot of it in the winter. I recorded a lot of [Silent Hour/Golden Mile] in that space of time out there."
All tracks written by Daniel Rossen.
|1.||"Up on High"||3:56|
|3.||"Return to Form"||5:23|
- Daniel Rossen - vocals, guitar, bass guitar, piano, keyboards, cello, drums, percussion
- Scott Hirsch - lap steel guitar (1 and 3)
- Eric Slick - drums (5)
- Frank Cohen - trombone (3 and 4)
- Nick Tucker - bassoon (3 and 4)
- Ben Brody - french horn (3 and 4)
- Zubin Hensler - trumpet (3 and 4)
- Ian Davis - horn arrangements (3)
- Kris Nolte - horn arrangements (4)
- Daniel Rossen - producer, recording
- Jon Low - recording engineer (5)
- Nicolas Vernhes - mixing
- Greg Calbi - mastering
- Amelia Bauer - artwork
- Phares, Heather. "Silent Hour / Golden Mile - Daniel Rossen | Allmusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- O'Neal, Sean. "Daniel Rossen: Silent Hour / Golden Mile | The A.V. Club". theavclub.com. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Denney, Alex. "Daniel Rosson – Silent Hour/Golden Mile". NME. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Zoladz, Lindsay. "Daniel Rossen: Silent Hour / Golden Mile | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Hyden, Steven. "Opening Track: Daniel Rossen, Silent Hour / Golden Mile | The A.V. Club". theavclub.com. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Traynor, Cian. "The End of the Road? Grizzly Bear Interviewed". thequietus.com. Retrieved 22 September 2012.