Silk Road (film)
|Directed by||Tiller Russell|
|Written by||Tiller Russell|
|Based on||“Dead End on Silk Road”|
by David Kushner
|Edited by||Greg O'Bryant|
|Music by||Mondo Boys|
Silk Road is a 2021 American crime thriller film, written and directed by Tiller Russell. The film stars Jason Clarke, Nick Robinson, Katie Aselton, Jimmi Simpson, Daniel David Stewart, Darrell Britt-Gibson, Lexi Rabe, Will Ropp, Paul Walter Hauser and Alexandra Shipp. It is based on the true story of Ross Ulbricht who develops a website on the Dark net, an act which attracts the attention of the FBI and DEA who send in federal agent Richard "Rick" Bowden, a fictional composite of real life DEA Agent Carl Force and US Secret Service Special Agent Shaun Bridges both of whom were convicted of felonies related to theft of assets in the investigation of Ulbricht, to bring down Ross' empire.
Silk Road was released on February 19, 2021, by Lionsgate.
Detailing the capture of Silk Road founder Ross Ulbricht by the FBI and DEA agent Rick Bowden, nicknamed the "Jurassic Narc."
- Jason Clarke as Richard "Rick" Bowden aka "Jurassic Narc"
- Nick Robinson as Ross Ulbricht
- Alexandra Shipp as Julia Vie
- Jimmi Simpson as Chris Tarbell
- Paul Walter Hauser as Curtis Clark Green
- Darrell Britt-Gibson as Rayford
- Katie Aselton as Sandy Bowden
- Lexi Rabe as Edie Bowden
- Daniel David Stewart as Max
- Will Ropp as Shields
- David DeLao as Johnny Marales
- Raleigh Cain as Callie
In January 2019, it was announced Jason Clarke and Nick Robinson had joined the cast of the film, with Tiller Russell directing from a screenplay he wrote. In May 2019, Cole Sprouse, Darrell Britt-Gibson and Jimmi Simpson joined the cast of the film. In June 2019, Paul Walter Hauser, Katie Aselton and Lexi Rabe joined the cast of the film. That same month, Daniel David Stewart joined the cast of the film, replacing Sprouse.
It was scheduled to have its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 16, 2020. However, the festival was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In December 2020, Lionsgate acquired U.S. distribution rights to the film, and set it for a February 19, 2021, release.
Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 54% approval rating based on 41 reviews, with an average rating of 5.70/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "Silk Road draws intriguing parallels between its oppositional main characters, but doesn't do quite enough to develop the story surrounding them." According to Metacritic, which sampled seven critics and calculated a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, the film received "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "Silk Road". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- Wiseman, Andreas (January 30, 2019). "EFM: Jason Clarke & Nick Robinson To Star In Crime-Drama 'Silk Road'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (May 18, 2019). "Cole Sprouse & Alexandra Shipp Among Cast To Join True Crime Movie 'Silk Road' About Dark Web". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas; N'Duka, Amanda (June 11, 2019). "Silk Road': Paul Walter Hauser, Katie Aselton & Lexi Rabe Join True Crime Movie About Dark Web". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- Galuppo, Mia (June 28, 2019). "'Catch 22' Breakout Daniel David Stewart Joins True Crime Thriller 'Silk Road'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 29, 2019.
- L Stallings, Dianne (June 7, 2019). ""Silk Road" filming through mid-July in New Mexico". ruidosonews.com. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- "Jason Clarke's "Silk Road" is Now Casting Extras in Santa Fe". Project Casting. June 2, 2019. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- Goldsmith, Jill (March 3, 2020). "Tribeca Sets Feature Lineup Of Films For 2020 Fest". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 3, 2020.
- Beresford, Tribly; Lewis, Hilary (March 12, 2020). "Tribeca Film Festival Postponed Amid Coronavirus Fears". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 12, 2020.
- Kroll, Justin (December 7, 2020). "Lionsgate Acquires Thriller 'Silk Road' Starring Jason Clarke And Nick Robinson". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 7, 2020.
- "Silk Road (2021)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- "Silk Road Reviews". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved February 25, 2021.