Simon Brown (footballer, born 1976)
|Full name||Simon James Brown|
|Date of birth||3 December 1976|
|Place of birth||Chelmsford, England|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|1997–1998||→ Lincoln City (loan)||1||(0)|
|1998||→ Fulham (loan)||0||(0)|
|1998||→ Kingstonian (loan)||3||(0)|
|1999||→ Aylesbury United (loan)||12||(0)|
|2008–2009||→ Darlington (loan)||22||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13:28, 1 May 2010 (UTC).
Brown started his career with Tottenham Hotspur as an apprentice but did not make a first team appearance at White Hart Lane. Instead, he spent several spells on loan at lower league clubs before signing for Colchester United in 1999. After five years and more than 100 starts for the Layer Road club, he moved north to join Hibernian in 2004. Brown struggled to hold down a regular place with Hibernian and was given a free transfer at the end of the 2006–07 season.
Brentford manager Terry Butcher signed Brown on 25 June 2007. Brown was transfer listed at the end of his first season with the club. He joined Darlington in a five-month loan deal on 2 August 2008. After his loan spell at Darlington, Brown returned to Brentford after the five months to serve as back up for Ben Hamer who was on loan from Reading. Brown came on as a sub for Hamer on the second last day of the season against Darlington to help Brentford secure promotion to League One. Despite being offered a new deal, Brown left the club when his contract expired on 1 July.
On 11 September 2009, Brown signed with League Two side Northampton Town on a contract until January 2010. After making two appearances for the Cobblers, he signed for Cambridge United on a free transfer on 11 February 2010. On 3 January 2012 he left Cambridge United by mutual consent, joining Welling United. He debuted for the club in their 5–1 Conference South home victory over Truro City on 7 January 2012.
As a player
- "Brentford sign Hibs keeper Brown". BBC Sport (BBC). 25 June 2007. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Brown completes Hibs move". BBC Sport (BBC). 24 June 2004. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Brown leaves U's". Cambridge United F.C. Official Website. 3 January 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-01-09. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Keeper Brown helps out Wings". Nonleaguedaily.com. 9 January 2012. Archived from the original on 22 January 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Welling United 5 vs 1 Truro City". Welling United F.C. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2012.[dead link]