Simonian Farms is a farm belonging to the Simonian family and is a renowned produce market and museum in Fresno, California. The produce market sells various local fruits, grains, and honey. The farm has become a local tourist attraction due to its produce, vineyards, fields, and orchards.
The farm was founded by Armenian immigrant Baghdasar Simonian in 1901. Simonian first arrived in Ellis Island, New York from Armenia in 1892. He settled in Fresno, California and started the Simonian Farms by producing raisins. The Simonian family was already familiar with agricultural practices from their native homeland. Since its establishment, the company continued to expand. The farm was eventually inherited by his son Michael.
After Michael Simonian, the management of the farm was passed on to its current owners, and third generation of management, Bonnie and Dennis Simonian. Under the management of Dennis and Bonnie, the Farm expanded into a market and museum.
The Simonian Farm is located on its original location on Clovis & Jensen Ave. The size of the property is 80 acres (32 ha). The farm produces more than 180 crops and seasonal fruits which include cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, apples, pomegranates, blackberries, grapes, boysenberries, figs and persimmons. The vineyard is also used to produce signature wines. In 1995, President Bill Clinton visited the farm. The Simonian family was invited to attend Clinton's inauguration in January, 1997.
The museum called "Old Town" was opened in 2012 and has a western styled theme. The museum features various old artifacts such as automobiles, tractors, and farming equipment. The museum also features a Route 66 Shooting Range for the youth. When constructing the museum, Bonnie Simonian said that "We hope to tell the history of the Fresno area from the 1850s to the 1960s."
- Romero, Ezra (June 21, 2012). "Simonian Farms goes back in time with barn project". Fresno Bee. Fresno. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Bulbulian, Berge (2000). The Fresno Armenians : history of a diaspora community. Fresno, CA: Press at California State University, Fresno. ISBN 9780912201351.
- al.], [editors: Slaney Begley, Joanne Levêque, Zoë Ross ; main contributors: Jamie Jensen ... et. California. New York: DK Publishing. p. 608. ISBN 9780756694647.
- Berman, Eleanor (1992). Away for the weekend, Northern California : great getaways for every season of the year. New York: C. Potter. p. 8. ISBN 9780517582541.
- "SIMONIAN FARMS: Roadside Fruit Farm as Museum". Bargain Travel West. Bargain Travel West. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Barsegyan, Lilit (2012). "A Fresno Legacy". Yerevan Magazine (Jul/Aug). Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Associate Members". Twin Rivers Vintners. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Simonian Farms opens Old Town attraction". ABC 30. June 23, 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Simonian Farms - Family Story". Simonian Farms Official Website. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Simonian Farms introduces new wine for cause". GlobalFoodMate. Retrieved 7 March 2013.