Sir Benjamin Tichborne, 1st Baronet
Sir Benjamin Tichborne, 1st Baronet (c. 1540 - 1629) was an English landowner, courtier and politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1588 and 1593.
Tichborne was the son of Nicholas Tichborne, of Tichborne Park, Hampshire and his second wife Elizabeth Rythe, sister of James Rythe. He was Sheriff of Hampshire from 1579 to 1580. In 1588, he was elected Member of Parliament for Petersfield. He was elected MP for Hampshire in 1593. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth at Tichborne when she was on her way to Basing in 1601. He was Sheriff of Hampshire again from 1602 to 1603 in which capacity he proclaimed the accession of James I in March 1603 at Winchester. He was Gentleman of the Privy Chamber to King James, who visited Tichborne on several occasions, and gave him the Castle of Winchester in fee farm. He was created baronet on 8 March 1621.
Tichborne died at the age of about 89 and was buried at Tichborne.
Tichborne married firstly a daughter of Shelley, of Maple Durham, Oxfordshire. She died without issue and he married secondly by licence dated 17 May 1571, Amphillis Weston, daughter of Richard Weston, of Skreens in Essex.
Sir Benjamin had four sons and at least three daughters.
- Richard (2nd baronet)
- Walter (1574-1640), knighted, married 1597 to Mary White (c1581-1620) daughter of Robert White of Aldershot; Walter built Aldershot Manor House now in Aldershot park. His great great grandson inherited the baronetcy.
- Benjamin, knighted 1618, and an MP, died without issue.
- Henry, knighted, moved to Ireland and was involved in the Siege of Drogheda 1641.
- Elizabeth, married first Robert Garth (d1612) (separated c1602)  She married secondly William Owen
- Ann, married firstly William Brock of Longwood, a descendant of the Arundells of Wardour, who intermarried with the Tichbornes several times. Ann married secondly William Timperley.
- Amphilis married Sir William Gratwicke (knighted 1607) of Ulverston, Lancs and Tortington, Sussex.
- George Edward Cokayne Complete Baronetage, Volume 1 1900
- Marital Litigation in the Court of Requests 1542-1642, ed. Tim Stretton, Camden Fifth Series, Vol 32, CUP for the Royal Historical Society, 2008, see pp193-216
|Parliament of England|
|Member of Parliament for Petersfield
With: Edmund Marvyn
Sir Walter Covert
||Member of Parliament for Hampshire