Sir John Hope, 16th Baronet
Lieutenant-Colonel Sir John Augustus Hope, 16th Baronet Hope of Craighall OBE (7 July 1869 - 17 April 1924) was a British soldier and politician.
Hope was son of Rev. Canon Charles Augustus Hope, Rector of Barwick in Elmet, Yorkshire and the grandson of Sir John Hope, 11th Baronet. Hope entered the army in 1889 and was promoted to the rank of Major in 1905. He served in South Africa in 1901-1902 and was awarded the Queen's medal with 4 clasps. He later served in World War I with the 9th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps, was wounded and awarded the OBE in 1919.
Hope was an unsuccessful Unionist candidate for Midlothian at the December 1910 General Election, and was elected for the seat at a by-election in 1912. In 1918 when the constituency was split, he was elected as Conservative member for Midlothian North and Peebles, which he held until 1922.
- Sir Archibald Philip Hope (1912–1987), 17th Baronet Hope of Craighall, commanded No. 601 Squadron RAF during the Battle of Britain
- Lt.-Col. John Cecil Hope, DSO MC, (1913-1945), 1st Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps died in 24 April 1945 on active duty in Italy
- Lt.-Col. Hugh Alexander Hope, OBE MC, (1914-1982), fought in WWII with the King's Royal Rifle Corps
- Katharine Anne Hope (1916-1987), married Carl Raymond Davis
- "Whitaker's Peerage, Baronetage, Knightage and Companionage". Google Books. 1922. p. 330. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Biographical Notes; Major Hope, M.P., Wounded". Edinburgh, Scotland: The Scotsman Newspaper. August 4, 1915. p. 9. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Lt.-Col. Sir John Augustus Hope of Craighall, 16th Bt". Peerage.com. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Debrett's House of Commons and the Judicial Bench, 1916
- "Peerage.com Entry for Lt.-Col. John Cecil Hope". The Peerage. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Peerage.com Entry for Lt.-Col. Hugh Alexander Hope". The Peerage. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Peerage.com Entry for F/Lt. Carl Raymond Davis". The Peerage. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Midlothian
1912 – 1918
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Midlothian North and Peebles
1918 – 1922
George Aitken Clark Hutchison
|Baronetage of Nova Scotia|
Archibald Philip Hope
|This article about a Scottish Conservative and Unionist or Unionist Party (Scotland) Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|