Sir Roger Townshend, 1st Baronet
Townshend was the son of Sir John Townshend of Raynham, Norfolk and his wife Anne Bacon (1573–1622), eldest of the three daughters of Sir Nathaniel Bacon (c.1546–1622) by his first wife, Anne Gresham (d.1594), the illegitimate daughter of Sir Thomas Gresham.
He was the grandson of Sir Roger Townshend (d.1590) and Jane Stanhope (c.1547–1618), the daughter of Sir Michael Stanhope (d.1552) of Shelford, Nottinghamshire, by his wife, Anne Rawson, daughter of Nicholas Rawson of Aveley, Essex. After the death of Sir Roger Townshend (d.1590), his widow, Jane, married, as his second wife, Henry Berkeley, 7th Baron Berkeley. She died at her house in the Barbican on 3 January 1618, leaving a will dated 20 July 1617 which was proved by her grandson, Sir Roger Townshend, 1st Baronet, on 10 March 1618.
In 1621 Townsend was elected Member of Parliament for Orford. He was elected MP for Norfolk in 1628 and sat until 1629 when King Charles decided to rule without parliament for eleven years. He was Sheriff of Norfolk in 1629.
Townshend was much eateemed for his charity and munificence. He died aged 41 and was buried in the church of East Raynham.
Marriage and issue
Townsend married in or before 1628, Mary de Vere, daughter of Horace Vere, 1st Baron Vere of Tilbury. He was succeeded in the baronetcy by his eldest son, Roger. His younger son, Horatio, succeeded to the baronetcy in 1648, and was later elevated to the peerage as Viscount Townshend.
His widow married Mildmay Fane, 2nd Earl of Westmorland on 21 June 1638, at Hackney.
- Broadway, Jan (2004). "Townshend, Sir Roger (c.1544–1590)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/27633. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Clough, Cecil H. (2004). "Townshend, Sir John (1567/8–1603)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/27630. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Cokayne, George Edward (1912). The Complete Peerage, edited by Vicary Gibbs. II. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 138–40.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. pp. 342–3. ISBN 1449966373.
- Warmington, Andrew (2004). "Berkeley, George, eighth Baron Berkeley (1601–1658)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/2208. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Stanhope, Michael (c.1508-1552), History of Parliament Retrieved 19 March 2013
- Will of Lady Jane Berkeley, National Archives Retrieved 19 March 2013
|Parliament of England|
Sir John Townsend
Sir Richard Knightley
|Member of Parliament for Orford
With: Sir Lionel Tollemache, 2nd Baronet
Sir Robert Hitcham
Sir Edward Coke
Sir Robert Bell
|Member of Parliament for Norfolk
With: John Heveningham
Parliament suspended until 1640
|Baronetage of England|