size2shoes in 2008
|Labels||eyemusic (own label)|
|Associated acts||Nóirín Ní Riain, Amen, Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin, Julie Feeney|
size2shoes is a cross-genre Irish band from Limerick City. The band, who released their début album, size2shoes in December 2008, have been featured on national television and radio in both Ireland and America. They have also performed alongside The Chieftains, Bobby McFerrin, and Sinéad O'Connor.
The brothers, Eoin and Moley were brought up in a musical household. Their parents, singer Nóirín Ní Riain and composer and pianist Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin taught the duo from an early age to respect music. It wasn't until 2007 that the brothers began to record professionally, collaborating with their mother on the Amen album, later released as Celtic Joy in the United States of America. The duo have recorded with Grammy-winning singer Moya Brennan and Irish singer-songwriter Mary Coughlan.
Eoin 'Owen' Ó Súilleabháin
Eoin, the eldest of the brothers first recorded professionally alongside Sinéad O'Connor, Nóirín Ní Riain, poet John O'Donohue and the Monks of Glenstal Abbey on the album Biscantorat in 2003. In 2005 he became the director of the Sionna Festival, a large festival based in the University of Limerick.
Eoin Ó Súilleabháin was given a degree in Philosophy and University College Dublin and a master's degree in Peace Studies at the University of Limerick. In 2005, he became Orchestral Manager for the World Youth Orchestra in Rome and toured with them through Jerusalem, Ramallah, Jordan and Amman for both Israeli and Palestinian audiences. Eoin currently teaches English as a foreign language to refugees at the Adult Education College in Limerick city.
Mícheál 'Moley' Ó Súilleabháin
Beginning and first album (2007–2009)
Although the duo had been writing songs for a number of years, they did not begin recording together until 2007. In 2008 they finished recording their début album, size2shoes, recorded by Kevin Lynch (U2, Elvis Costello) which garnered strong reviews from The Edinburgh Fringe Festival and Irish media. The album had size2shoes featured on nationwide media, which prompted them to begin writing more material.
The duo received popular acclaim from Irish media, being compared to Scullion and Sonny Condell. A live performance in Dublin in October 2008, which invited Julie Feeney as a guest singer, drew comparisons with "Simon & Garfunkel and Steely Dan unplugged".
In September 2009 the duo performed at Electric Picnic. Their début album, with single Sitting by the Sea, was officially launched at Crawdaddy in Dublin, and they supported Hothouse Flowers the same month.
Second album (2009–Present)
Size2shoes announced they were currently recording their second album and have performed songs from the record in both the National Concert Hall and Spin FM in early 2009, and indicated that they would be recording part of the album in Australia at the recording studio of Russell Crowe. The album Happy Songs was released in 2011.
- 2009 – Sitting by the Sea ("Sittin' by the Sea (with You)" on album)
- 2008 – Celtic Joy, with Nóirín Ní Riain
- 2008 – Sanctuary, (various artists)
- 2007 – Amen, with Nóirín Ní Riain
- 2003 – Biscantorat, with Nóirín Ní Riain, Sinéad O'Connor and The Monks of Glenstal Abbey
- 2011 – War Horse
- The Arts Show RTÉ Arts Show Highlights
- Seoige Archives RTÉ Television
- Live from Limerick WFMU
- The Tubridy Show Archives RTÉ Radio
- Roots Reviews The Irish Times
- Moley & Bobby performance download Archived 24 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- 25 Minute interview with Michelle McMahon Archived 16 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine Spin South-West with Size2shoes.com
- Murphy, Sandra (8 November 2018). "Music Lovers Mourn Death Of Composer Micheal O Suilleabhain". Extra.ie. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- size2shoes Archived 21 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine news archive
- "The Monks Of Glenstal Abbey - Biscantorat - Sound Of The Spirit From Glenstal Abbey". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- World Youth Orchestra Archived 9 February 2013 at Archive.today Official website
- Back to school blog Archived 2 February 2013 at Archive.today at size2shoes.com
- Sunday Independent Archived 5 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Limerick Event Guide Archived 14 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine review
- On Newstalk's Weekend Blend Archived 16 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine size2shoes vault
- In Conversation with Michelle McMahon Archived 16 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine size2shoes.com
- If the shoes fit… University Observer, 15 September 2009
- O’Mahony, Don (19 June 2013). "Brothers serenading Hollywood crowd". Irish examiner. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Niamh Horan (13 February 2011). "Musical brothers ready to step into the limelight with blockbuster film role". Irish Independent. Independent Papers. Retrieved 22 February 2011.
Eoin and Micheal... landing a part in his upcoming blockbuster War Horse.
- Creighton, Keith (19 February 2012). "Popdose Investigates Size2Shoes' Absurdly Unbelievable Bio". Popdose. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Lights, camera, Size2Shoes. ." Independent. 22 January 2012. Retrieved 23 January 2019.