Schleswig Regiment of Foot
|Schleswig Regiment of Foot|
|Disbanded||1 January 2001|
|Branch||Royal Danish Army|
|Role||Motorized infantry (1961-2000) |
Light infantry (2019-)
|Size||Four battalions (1961-2000) |
One Battalion (2019-)
|Motto(s)||Vaagn og Tro (Alert and True)|
|Colonel Lars Mouritsen|
The Schleswig Regiment of Foot (Danish: Slesvigske Fodregiment) was a Royal Danish Army infantry regiment. On 1 January 2001 it was merged, together with Dronningens Livregiment, into Prinsens Livregiment. In 2018 it was announced that the regiment would be reinstated within primo 2019, as a light infantry battalion.
The Schleswig Regiment of Foot can trace its history back to 1778 when it was raised from personnel from existing Regiments. Until 1842 it was garrisoned in Schleswig, until 1854 in Fredericia, until 1923 in Copenhagen and thereafter in Haderslev. From 1960's to 1997 the regiment only had infantry battalions, in 1997 it was upgraded with one mechanised infantry battalion.
The Regiment participated in the Napoleonic Wars (first as part of the Danish mobile auxiliary force, commanded by Prince Frederik of Hesse and under supreme command of Marechal L.N. Davout, and then as part of the Allied Forces against Napoleon under supreme command of Wellington), First Schleswig War (1848–1850) and Second Schleswig War (1864). The regimental flag has the battle honours Boden 1813 and Isted 1850. Since 26 March 1949 the flag carried the name Slesvigske Fodregiment.
The regiment itself has one battalion and a Musical Corps:
- 13th battalion, historical number, reactivated in 2019 as a Light Infantry Battalion
- Slesviske Musik Korps.
- 1st battalion (I/SLFR), Founded 1961, Disband 2000. Motorized Infantry Battalion (from 1997 to 2000 Mechanized Infantry).
- 2nd battalion (II/SLFR), Founded 1961, Disband 2000. Motorized Infantry Battalion.
- 3th battalion (III/SLFR), Founded 1961, Disband 2000. Infantry Battalion.
- 4th battalion (VI/SLFR), merge in from Kongens Jyske Fodregiment in 1991, Disband 2000. Infantry Battalion.
Names of the regiment
|Fyenske Infanteriregiment||Funen Infantry Regiment||1778-10-01||–||1785|
|Slesvigske Infanteriregiment||Schleswig Infantry Regiment||1785||–||1842|
|13. Linie Infanteribataillon||13th Line Infantry Battalion||1842||–||1860|
|13. Infanteribataillon||13th Infantry Battalion||1860||–||1863|
|13. Infanteriregiment||13th Infantry Regiment||1863||–||1865|
|13. Infanteribataillon||13th Infantry Battalion||1865||–||1867|
|13. Bataillon||13th Battalion||1867||–||1951|
|2. Regiment||2nd Regiment||1951-11-01||–||1961-11-01|
|Slesvigske Fodregiment||Schleswig Regiment of Foot||1961-11-01||–||2001-01-01|
|Slesvigske Fodregiment||Schleswig Regiment of Foot||2019||–||Present|
- Fahrendorff, Lars (26 April 2018). "Slesvigske Fodregiment genopstår". Jydske Vestkysten (in Danish). Haderslev: Jysk Fynske Medier. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Laursen, Ole. "Historisk oversigt for 13. Linie Infanteribataillon". wadschier.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Lærebog for Hærens Menige, Hærkommandoen, marts 1960
- "Slesvigske Fodregiment - i krig og fred", Niels Friis 1953