Sloan Valve Company
Sloan Valve logo
|Headquarters||Franklin Park, Illinois, US|
|Products||Faucets, Flushometers, Vitreous China Fixtures, Sink Systems, Hand Hygiene, Programmed Water Technology, parts and accessories|
Number of employees
Sloan Valve Company is a privately owned American company specializing in plumbing valves and fixtures.
The company was founded by William Elvis Sloan in Chicago, Illinois in 1906 with the introduction of the Royal flushometer, a valve to release a measured amount of water to flush a urinal or toilet. Initial sales were very poor: only a single Royal model flushometer was sold in 1906, and two were sold in 1907. Fortunately, in 1908, the company sold 150 units. Initially, potential customers were wary of adjusting to his invention. Even some plumbing fixture manufacturers wouldn't sell their products if they were furnished with Sloan's flushometers. However, the original 1906 design has proven so reliable that as of 2012, parts are still available to repair any flushometer ever made.
In addition to its flush valves based on diaphragm technology, Sloan also introduced piston-type flushometers, including the Crown and the GEM 2. A special piston-type flushometer, called the Naval, was built for marine applications. In 1976, Sloan introduced the Optima line of sensor-activated flushometers (the first few were installed at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport); battery-powered equivalents under the name Optima Plus followed in 1991. Sloan also now has solar-powered models with a battery back-up that operate using any artificial or natural light source.
Sloan has made a major commitment to producing equipment that minimizes consumption of fresh water. This effort is led by co-presidents Jim Allen, Kirk Allen and Graham Allen.
The company is producing the dual-flush UPPERCUT flushometer with a green handle. Pressing the lever down produces a regular 1.6-gallon flush, while lifting the lever up produces a 1.1 gallon flush.
The company also offers sensor-activated flushometers and other plumbing fixtures, including water-efficient electronic faucets, solid-surface lavatory systems, stainless-steel scrub sinks and wash stations, and bedpan washer flushometers. Other restroom fixtures include sensor-activated hand dryers, low-flow showerheads, networked water-control systems, and electronic soap dispensers.
- Oravetz, Rex Miller, Mark Richard Miller, Jules (2004). Audel - Questions and Answers for Plumbers' Examinations (4th ed.). Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons. p. 95. ISBN 0-7645-7546-5.
All Sloan valves made since 1906 can be repaired with parts (in kit form) obtained from local plumbing supply houses.
- Martin, Mary Jo. Celebrating 100 Years.... The Wholesaler. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- Megdal, Jerry (2010). Dry Run : preventing the next urban water crisis. Gabriola Island, BC: New Society Publishers. ISBN 978-0865716704. p. 70
- Kibert, Charles J. (2008). Sustainable construction: green building design and delivery (2nd ed.). Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0470114216.
- Our Heritage. "Our Heritage | Sloan". Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- "Cubs and Sloan Valve Company Announce Partnership, Includes Naming Rights of Cubs Spring Training Facility". chicagocubsonline.com. Chicago Cubs Online. Retrieved 19 July 2015.