Small Town (album)
|Live album by Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan|
|Released||May 26, 2017|
|Venue||Village Vanguard, NYC|
|Bill Frissell chronology|
Small Town is a live album by Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan recorded at the Village Vanguard in 2016 and released on the ECM label the following year. It was Frisells first album for the label since 1987's Lookout for Hope.
|All About Jazz|||
Response was generally positive, with the AllMusic review by Thom Jurek stating "Morgan is a deeply intuitive player with a glorious earthy, woody tone. He anchors Frisell's more speculative tendencies, allowing the unexpected (and perhaps previously undiscovered) room to emerge and hold its ground between them with the seams showing. Small Town is an excellent showcase for this duo; here's hoping it's only a first volley." On All About Jazz, John Kelman noted "Frisell proves that it's possible to bring together original music, country music, jazz standards and more in an unfettered duet setting ... with Small Town, Frisell has clearly found another ideal musical foil to add to his growing cadre of musicians with whom he collaborates on a regular basis. Intimate, beautiful and deep, while at the same time knotty, witty and curiously skewed, Small Town delivers, in many ways, on the promise of In Line's five duo tracks 35 years on, with a live set that proves great music isn't just where you find it; it's everywhere". In The Guardian, John Fordham called it an "almost psychically empathic duo set" and observed "Morgan’s quick anticipations of Frisell’s moves give their conversations a startling buoyancy". In Stereophile, Robert Baird wrote "Perhaps a bit too samey in approach for newcomers to his music, this is Frisell adding yet again to his ever growing, ever impressive legacy".
All compositions by Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan except where noted.
- "It Should Have Happened a Long Time Ago" (Paul Motian) – 11:05
- "Subconscious Lee" (Lee Konitz) – 7:31
- "Song for Andrew No. 1" (Frisell) – 9:35
- "Wildwood Flower" (Joseph Philbrick Webster, Maud Irving) – 5:08
- "Small Town" – 8:57
- "What a Party" (Dave Bartholomew, Fats Domino, Pearl King) – 6:41
- "Poet Pearl" – 12:04
- "Goldfinger" (John Barry, Leslie Bricusse, Anthony Newley) – 7:01
- ECM Catalog: ECM 2525, accessed October 30, 2017
- Bill Frisell Website, accessed October 30, 2017
- Jurek, Thom. Bill Frisell: Small Town – Review at AllMusic. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- All About Jazz Review, accessed October 30, 2017
- The Guardian Review, June 16, 2017
- Stereophile Review, accessed October 30, 2017