|Foaled||25 February 1982|
|Breeder||Donald T. Johnson (Crescent Farm)|
|Owner||Aston Upthorpe Stud|
|Trainer||John L. Dunlop|
Bred by Donald T. Johnson under the name of his Crescent Farm, he was out of the mare My Bupers and sired by Northern Dancer whom the National Thoroughbred Racing Association calls "one of the most influential sires in Thoroughbred history." Snaafi Dancer joins nine other descendants of Northern Dancer who clinch the entire list of the ten most expensive colts sold at auction (current to 2014).
Sent to the 1983 Keeneland Select Sale, bidding opened on the yearling at $1 million, passed the previous record forty-five seconds later with a bid price of $4.5 million, and finally closed at a new record price of $10.2 million to Sheikh Mohammed's Aston Upthorpe Stud. Looking for a Northern Dancer horse that could be a foundation stallion for his breeding operations – as had happened with chief rival Coolmore Stud – Sheikh Mohammed not only paid a new highest price ever for a yearling, but the highest price for any Thoroughbred ever sold at auction at that time.
Snaafi Dancer never raced. It was reported that he was so slow in training that it would have been embarrassing to run him in public. He was retired to stud duty where he was discovered to have fertility problems. From two years of breeding, he sired only four foals, three of which raced with very limited success. Snaafi Dancer was last reported as being at a farm in Florida.
Northern Dancer (CAN)
My Bupers (USA)
|Princess Revoked (USA)
|Bona Via (Family 6-a)|
- "Snaafi Dancer pedigree". equineline.com. 2012-05-08. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Colt Is Purchased For World-Record $10.2 Million". New York Times. 1983-07-20. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- "News of $16-million colt travels fast to Germany". Archived from the original on June 11, 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=3292[permanent dead link] NTRA article on breeder Donald T. Johnson and Snaafi Dancer
- http://www.pedigreequery.com/snaafi+dancer Snaafi Dancer's pedigree and partial racing stats
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-19. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- Morris, Tony; Randall, John (1990). Horse Racing: Records, Facts, Champions(Third Edition). Guinness Publishing. ISBN 0-85112-902-1.
- "Horse racing: Sheikh is unstirred". The Guardian. London. 2005-10-02.
| Most expensive Thoroughbred colt yearling
July 19, 1983 – July 23, 1985