Snake Pass (video game)
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
Snake Pass is a puzzle platform video game where the movement mechanic mirrors the slithering of a snake. The source for this game is the result of Sumo Digital's first internal game jam. The game has 15 levels across 4 themed worlds and is built on the Unreal Engine 4 game engine.
The game came about when developer Seb Liese was attempting to learn to program for the Unreal Engine. He initially created a rope but forgot to attach it to anything, and the way it fell made him think of a Snake. With the encouragement of his colleagues, he fleshed out the idea and presented it in a game jam. 
Initially the graphics used a more realistic style, but this, according to Liese, "genuinely creeped out" people, as such it was changed to a more cartoony design.  It was also planned that the Snake would grow as he eats but this was discarded as it created significant gameplay problems, one of which was that the game would have had to be virtually redesigned for a short snake. 
Snake Pass supports platform specific enhancements. On the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X, the game runs at a 4K resolution and it includes high dynamic range support. On the Xbox One, it supports Xbox Play Anywhere, allowing users to play on both the Xbox One and Windows 10. The game uses the Unreal Engine 4. The original score was composed by David Wise.
The game was released for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in North America on March 28, 2017, and in Europe and Australia the following day. In August 2018, Sumo Digital announced the Nintendo Switch will receive a limited physical release, courtesy of UK-based publisher Super Rare Games.
- Robinson, Martin (2 January 2017). "Sumo Digital's Snake Pass is coming to Switch". Eurogamer. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Snake Pass". 16 February 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- Megretton, James (6 April 2016). "Announcing Snake Pass". Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- Kayser, Daniel (16 February 2017). "POWERED BY UE4, SNAKE PASS TO LAUNCH ON PLAYSTATION 4, XBOX ONE, NINTENDO SWITCH AND PC IN MARCH". Unreal Engine. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "The Making Of Snake Pass". Nintendo.co.uk. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- Wise, David (16 February 2017). "Music of Snake Pass with David Wise". Twitch.tv. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "SNAKE PASS SET TO LAUNCH". 15 February 2016. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- Doolan, Liam (August 18, 2018). "Sumo Digital's Snake Pass Is Receiving A Physical Makeover On Switch". Nintendo Life. Retrieved August 18, 2018.