|Genre||Animated TV Special|
|Created by||Charles M. Schulz|
|Written by||Charles M. Schulz|
|Directed by||Sam Jaimes|
|Voices of||Phil Sanfran (Charlie Brown)
Josh Keaton (Linus van Pelt)
Kaitlyn Walker (Sally Brown)
Bill Melendez (Snoopy and his siblings)
Megan Parlen (Lila)
Laurel Page (Lila's mom)
Steven Slofiar (Mr. Allcroft and Bus driver)
|Executive producer(s)||Lee Mendelson|
|Camera setup||Nick Vasu|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television|
|Original release||May 1, 1991|
|Preceded by||Why, Charlie Brown, Why?|
|Followed by||It's Spring Training, Charlie Brown|
Snoopy's Reunion is the 34th prime-time animated TV special based upon the popular comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz. It originally aired on the CBS network on May 1, 1991 as part of the short-lived animated anthology series Toon Nite. It is the only Peanuts TV special to date (and the only animation other than Snoopy, Come Home) not to have "Charlie Brown" in the title (though the working title was Those Were the Days, Charlie Brown), it's also one of the few Peanuts specials to feature adults on-screen.
The story begins with a cold opening at the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm, set at the time of Snoopy's puppyhood. While still puppies, he and his siblings quickly become adept musicians; each one learns to play an instrument. They quickly mature, and in a few months, they are all put up for sale. The title credits appear next. After that, the scene changes to Charlie Brown's house. He, apparently depressed from a recent defeat, arrives home with his sister Sally to an empty, unwelcoming house. He tells her he needs to have someone to welcome him home after a defeat, like a dog.
Back at the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm, Snoopy and his siblings are all playing music together. Snoopy is sold to Lila, his first owner. As he is removed from his family, his instrument, a guitar, is removed from the music. His siblings are then sold, one by one. As they are removed, the music continues to decompose until the last one, Olaf, is sold. Lila and Snoopy have fun together for a brief time, then suddenly, the landlord in her apartment building tells Lila's family that they have to get rid of Snoopy because of a new rule in the apartment building for no more dogs allowed in the building, Lila sadly returns Snoopy to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm and tearfully says goodbye. The owner, who previously crossed off all the puppies' names, reinstates Snoopy's name on the list.
Charlie Brown firmly decides it's time for him to get a dog. He and Linus head to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. He haggles with the owner and convinces him to sell Snoopy for only $5.00. Linus notices that Snoopy was returned from a previous owner, and tells Charlie Brown that he has a "used dog". He doesn't mind this, and Snoopy appears to appreciate his new owner and home. Charlie Brown tries to train him, and soon realizes that he is an unusual dog. A montage showcases some of his abilities, such as playing baseball, sledding, surfing, and tennis.
After about four years have passed, Charlie Brown notices that Snoopy appears melancholy. He discusses this with Sally, and she suggests that perhaps he misses his family. Charlie Brown agrees, and suggests to Snoopy that they organize a family reunion, and maybe even visit the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm; he eagerly agrees. Invitations are sent to Belle, Spike, Olaf, Marbles, Molly, Rover, and Andy. A montage shows their reactions; the response is unanimously positive. Each one excitedly heads to the reunion, carrying their instrument of choice.
They all arrive at Charlie Brown's house. He, Sally, Snoopy, and Snoopy's siblings get on a bus to visit the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm for their reunion. They ask the bus driver to let them know when they reach it. Eventually, they arrive at the Daisy Hill bus stop. But instead of the puppy farm, all they see is a parking garage and a small pile of dirt; and no puppy farm. Confused, the bus driver insists that it is Daisy Hill. Undaunted, Snoopy and his siblings exit the bus and play a song on the sidewalk in front of the garage. Charlie Brown explores the area and discovers an old "Puppy For Sale" sign half buried in the dirt pile. At this point, they all realize that the puppy farm no longer exists, and is a victim of urbanization (an urban parking garage). It is now an urban location (urban area) rather than a rural puppy farm (or a rural area); they actually have returned. Despite this, Snoopy and his siblings seem happy to be together again, and continue to play more music.
Everyone then returns to Charlie Brown's house, and he declares that it was a reunion even if it wasn't the best. He then wonders how Snoopy's siblings are going to get home. Snoopy responds by getting into his World War I flying ace costume, and ushers them up on top of his doghouse (i.e. Sopwith Camel). The camera cuts back to Charlie Brown, with several off-screen sound effects insinuating that Snoopy is flying his 'plane'. When the camera cuts back to it, all his siblings have gone back home, and Snoopy is standing on the ground next to it, picking his teeth. Charlie Brown is shocked and wonders aloud how he could do that, to which Linus replies, "Well, he's your dog, Charlie Brown".
Contradictions with the Peanuts comic strip
- In the comic strip, Snoopy existed as Charlie Brown's dog way before Sally and Linus were born. In this special, Charlie Brown doesn't acquire him until way after they were born.
- In the comic strip, Charlie Brown and Snoopy knew each other way before Charlie Brown adopted Snoopy. In this special, Charlie Brown sees Snoopy for the first time.
- In the comic strip, Snoopy acts as an ordinary dog prior to his adoption by Charlie Brown. In this special, he is already well talented when Charlie Brown adopts him.
- Originally in the strip and later in the 1972 movie Snoopy, Come Home and the 1980 special Life Is a Circus, Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown tells Linus about how a kid dumped sand on him and made him cry, and the next day he and his parents went to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm to get Snoopy. In this special, they both go to get him.
- In the strip and Snoopy, Come Home, Linus calls the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm to find out about Snoopy's history when he goes to see Lila in the hospital, and finds out that he was a "used dog". In this special, when Charlie Brown and Linus go to pick him up, Linus finds out about his history in a ledger sitting on a desk.
- Phil Shafran: Charlie Brown
- Josh Keaton: Linus van Pelt
- Kaitlyn Walker: Sally Brown
- Bill Melendez: Snoopy and his siblings
- Megan Parlen: Lillian "Lila" Emmons Allcroft (flashback appearance)
- Laurel Page: Lila's mom (flashback appearance and seen)
- Steve Stoliar: Bus driver/Mr. Allcroft