Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley
Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley was a Conservative Jewish day school that served students in kindergarten through eighth grade that was located in East Brunswick, New Jersey, United States, until its closure before the start of the 2013–14 school year. It was affiliated with the Solomon Schechter Day School Association. The school's mission was "To operate a financially sound Jewish Day School that offers a superior general studies program coupled with a rich program in Judaic studies in an environment that thrives on Jewish values", with classes in all grades averaging 18 students.
Awards and recognition
During the 2009–10 school year, Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley was awarded the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive. The school was the only private school among the nine winners in New Jersey that year, one of 50 private schools nationwide to be honored and one of only two Jewish-affiliated schools to receive this recognition. Head of School Dr. Howard Rosenblatt indicated that the school qualified for this national honor by demonstrating sustained academic achievement in the school over a period of years. An application was submitted in fall 2008 and reviewed by the Council for American Private Education, which passes on its choices for private schools to be honored to the Department of Education.
The school announced on its website on August 19, 2013, that, "after over three decades of educating our children, Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley will not be opening its doors this fall. This, despite the heroic efforts of many this past week and the outpouring of interest and support from the Rabbis in Middlesex and Mercer Counties, Community Leaders, parents, grandparents, former parents, alumni and friends...." While enrollment had peaked at 300, the 2012–13 school year brought only 120 students and by the first parent meeting before the 2013–14 school year only 40 students were enrolled.
- Our Vision and Mission, Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley. Accessed October 29, 2009.
- School information for the Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- 2009 Blue Ribbon Schools: All Public and Private Schools, United States Department of Education. Accessed October 29, 2009.
- Traum, Alexander. "Schechter of Raritan Valley Garners Blue Ribbon Honors", The Jewish State, September 25, 2009. Accessed October 29, 2009.
- Home page, Solomon Schechter Day School of Raritan Valley. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- Ferst, Devra. "N.J. Schechter School Closes Three Weeks Before Start of Classes East Brunswick Parents Notified by Email Amid Scramble", The Forward, August 18, 2013. Accessed August 21, 2013. "The Solomon Schechter School of the Raritan Valley in East Brunswick, N.J., will not re-open its doors this school year."