George Somers Clarke
|Died||31 August 1926|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
As an architect he worked in partnership with John Thomas Micklethwaite from offices at 15 Dean's Yard, Westminster, London. He was also Surveyor of the Fabric of St Paul's Cathedral from 1897 to 1906.
After his retirement Clarke continued to live in Egypt and died in Mahamid in August 1926.
- 1872–78 Wyfold Court, Rotherfield Peppard, Oxfordshire
- 1874–75 St Martin's parish church, Lewes Road, Brighton (Wagner Memorial Church), the largest church in Brighton, complete except proposed saddle-back tower. Spectacular pulpit based on the Sacrament House in St. Lorenz, Nuremberg.
- 1875 scheme for remodelling and extending St Peter's Church, Brighton (only partly achieved)
- 1879 St Nicholas parish church, Kiddington, Oxfordshire: vestry and organ loft
- 1885 Parish church of St John The Divine, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
- 1885 Church at Wimbledon (proposed)
- 1889 St Mary's Church, Potton, Bedfordshire
- 1890 St Peter's parish church, Marsh Baldon, Oxfordshire: restoration (with Micklethwaite)
- 1891 Reid's Palace Hotel, Funchal, Madeira
- 1892 St Saviour's parish church, Folkestone, Kent
- 1892 designs for wall paintings by C.E. Kempe in St Nicholas' Church, Brighton
- 1893 The Frank James Memorial Hospital, East Cowes, Isle of Wight.
- 1900–06 (with Micklethwaite) St Peter's parish church, Brighton: new chancel with eleven-light east window
- 1910 Chichester Cathedral: reredos
- SS Philip & James parish church, Oxford: reredos
- "Death Of Well Known Architect: Mr Somers Clarke Passes Away In Egypt". Dundee Courier. 1 September 1926. Retrieved 24 September 2014 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1965, p. 738. sfn error: no target: CITEREFSherwoodPevsner1965 (help)
- Nairn & Pevsner 1965, p. 433.
- Church Guide Book. St Martin's, Brighton. 1975.
- Building News. 1 January 1875. Missing or empty
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1965, p. 669. sfn error: no target: CITEREFSherwoodPevsner1965 (help)
- The Builder. 46: 932. 1884. Missing or empty
- The Builder: 792. 5 December 1885. Missing or empty
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1321657)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1965, p. 698. sfn error: no target: CITEREFSherwoodPevsner1965 (help)
- Denby, Elaine (1998). Grand Hotels: Reality & Illusion; An Architectural and Social History. Reaktion Books. p. 183. ISBN 978-1861891211.
- The Builder. 6 October 1892. Missing or empty
- Nairn & Pevsner 1965, p. 428.
- Nairn & Pevsner 1965, p. 436.
- Nairn & Pevsner 1965, p. 155.
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1965, p. 298. sfn error: no target: CITEREFSherwoodPevsner1965 (help)
- Nairn, Ian; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1965). Sussex. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 69–71, 155, 427, 438, 433, 436. ISBN 0-14-071028-0.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). Oxfordshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 403, 669, 698 738. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.