Somerset Butler, 1st Earl of Carrick
Somerset Hamilton Butler, 1st Earl of Carrick, PC (6 September 1718 – 15 April 1774), known as The Viscount Ikerrin from 1721 to 1744, was the son of Thomas Butler, 6th Viscount Ikerrin and Margaret Hamilton. He succeeded his brother James Butler as the 8th Viscount Ikerrin on 20 October 1721. Subsequently he was invested as a Privy Council of Ireland on 14 April 1746. He was awarded an LL.D. honorary degree by Dublin University on 23 February 1747. He was created Earl of Carrick (second creation) on 10 June 1748. The name "Carrick" refers to the town of Carrick-on-Suir in County Tipperary. It was also the title of his remote ancestor, Edmund Butler, Earl of Carrick (of the first creation).
Marriage and Children
||This section's factual accuracy is disputed. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Henry Butler, 2nd Earl of Carrick (May 19 1746 – July 20 1813), married Sarah Taylor.
- Hon. James Butler (August 5 1747 – December 1747)
- Lady Margaret Butler (January 23 1748 – April 1775), married Armar Lowry-Corry, 1st Earl Belmore.
- Lady Henrietta Butler (August 15 1750 – June 20 1785), married Edmund Butler, 11th Viscount Mountgarret.
- Hon. Pierce Butler-Cooper (August 15 1750 – May 5 1826), married Catherine Roth, daughter of Richard Roth, Esq.
- Digital copy of the The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 82, Part 2 - website Google books
- Lundy, Darryl. "Somerset Hamilton Butler, 1st Earl of Carrick". The Peerage.[unreliable source] - website ThePeerage.com
- William Courthope, ed. (1838). Debrett's complete peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (22nd ed.). p. 652. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Somerset Hamilton Butler, 1st Earl of Carrick". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Cokayne, George E. Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. London: G. Bell & sons, 1887. googlebooks.com Accessed November 9, 2007
- Lodge, Edmund. The Genealogy of the Existing British Peerage. London: Saunders and Otley, 1832. googlebooks.com Accessed November 11, 2007
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New creation||Earl of Carrick
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|