Sonia Bashir Kabir
Sonia Bashir Kabir
সোনিয়া বশির কবির
|Education||Masters in Business Administration|
|Alma mater||California State University, Santa Clara University|
|Occupation||Tech Investor & Tech Entrepreneur|
|Awards||Microsoft Founder's (Bill Gates) Award 2016, SDG Pioneer Award, 2017 Anannya Top Ten Awards (2015)|
Sonia began her career as a technology corporate professional and her journey led her to become a technology entrepreneur, an angel investor and a technology philanthropist.
Sonia is currently the Founder of SBK Tech Ventures and SBK Foundation - her “Not for profit” entity which believes in empowering rural communities with Technology. “Tech Hubs” is an initiative of SBK Foundation.
Sonia has served as the Managing Director for Microsoft Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan and Laos, Country Director of Dell Bangladesh, Director Business Development for South East Asia, New Emerging Markets in Microsoft and Chief Operating Officer for Aamra Technologies Ltd.
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appointed Sonia in 2015 to the Governing Council of the Technology Bank for the Least Developed Countries (LDC) for a three-year term. She was elected as Vice Chairman of UN Technology Bank in 2017.
Sonia is also a board member in UNESCO's Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development.
Sonia is the first woman to win the ICT Business Person of the Year Award from the Daily Star ICT Awards in 2019 and she was one of the 10 recipients of Microsoft Founder's Award in 2016 given by Bill Gates.
Sonia was recognized by UN Global Compact in 2017 as a SDG pioneer. 10 people globally got this recognition. She was recognized for integrating seven Global Goals into her business practices and strategies: no poverty; quality education; gender equality; decent work and economic growth; industry, innovation and infrastructure; reduced inequalities; creating partnerships to meet the Goals.
Sonia actively supports youth in technology and women empowerment with youth-led initiatives all over Bangladesh.
Early life and education
She completed her Senior Cambridge from Green Herald International School (St. Francis Xavier's) and Higher Secondary Certificate from Viqarunnisa Noon School and College. She lived in Silicon Valley, Northern California for 20 years where she was educated and trained. She has a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree from California State University, East Bay and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Santa Clara University.
Sonia was a Bangladeshi national athlete; she has played for Abahani women's Volleyball and Cricket team and continued playing for Bangladesh National Volleyball team.
Sonia worked in Silicon Valley for Fortune 100 companies (Sun Microsystems & Oracle), startups & in the financial district. Her expertise include strategic planning & growth, sales execution, financial management, team building and change management.
Sonia served in the Boards of the American International School Dhaka, Bangladesh Employers Federation, Bangladesh Cricket Board (Women's Wing), Abahani Women's Games Development Committee and Women Entrepreneur's Association.
She currently has Board seats in IPDC Finance, BRAC University and Shakti Foundation for Disadvantaged Women. She is the Advisor for Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries (FBCCI), the apex trade organization of Bangladesh playing a pivotal role in consultative and advisory capacity, safeguarding the interest of the private sector in the country.
Sonia is the Founder of the 1st Women's IT Association in Bangladesh - Bangladesh Women in IT (BWIT) and the first Female Tech Investors Network (FTIN). She is also the Founder of The Angels Network (TAN) and the Founder President and a current Advisor of TiE Dhaka Chapter. TIE is a Silicon Valley headquartered not for profit association for fostering entrepreneurship.
- ICT Business Person of the Year Award from Daily Star, 2019 (first woman to win the award)
- Microsoft Founder Award 
- SDG Pioneer Award, 2017 
- Anannya Top Ten Awards, 2016 
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir recognised as SDG pioneer". The Independent. Dhaka.
- "SBK Tech Ventures".
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir parts ways with Microsoft". Dhaka Tribune. 2019-04-09. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir - BASIS SoftExpo 2017". BASIS SoftExpo.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir to get UN award". risingbd.com.
- "They're banking on our help | New Straits Times". NST Online. Retrieved 2020-04-24.
- Developer), Md Ashequl Morsalin Ibne Kamal(Team Leader)| Niloy Saha(Sr Web Developer)| Shohana Afroz(Web Developer)| Jobayer Hossain(Web. "Sonia Bashir to serve UN Technology Bank for another term". unb.com.bd. Retrieved 2020-04-24.
- "The Daily Star ICT Awards 2019". The Daily Star. 2019-12-21. Retrieved 2020-03-18.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir wins Microsoft Founder Award". The Daily Star. 2 August 2016.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir pledges to empower the youth with technology". The Daily Star. 2018-12-24. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir : Microsoft Bangladesh's New Country Manager - HiFiPublic.com".
- "BWIT". bwit-bd.com.
- "The League Of Extraordinary Women: 06 Women Who Are Redefining Bangladesh's Tech Industry". 27 October 2015.
- "Microsoft Bangladesh chief wins UN recognition". The Daily Star. 13 September 2017.
- Desk, Technology; bdnews24.com. "Sonia Bashir eyes to launch tech start-up after leaving Microsoft Bangladesh". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2020-03-18.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir receives 'ICT Businessperson of the Year' award". Dhaka Tribune. 2019-12-21. Retrieved 2020-03-18.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir | UN Global Compact". www.unglobalcompact.org. Retrieved 2020-03-18.
- "Microsoft Bangladesh's MD Sonia Bashir Kabir recognised for women's digital empowerment". Dhaka Tribune.
- "Sonia Bashir Kabir to get UN SDG award". The Daily Sun.
- "11 women get Ananya award". The Daily Star. 2016-09-04. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonia Bashir Kabir.|