South Hagerstown High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|South Hagerstown High School|
1101 South Potomac StreetHagerstown, MD 21740
|School district||Washington County Public Schools|
|Enrolment||1,258  (2015–16)|
South Hagerstown High School is located at 1101 South Potomac Street, in Hagerstown, Maryland, United States. The current principal is Jeremy Jakoby. The 164,000 square-foot school is part of the Washington County Public Schools system and has an official capacity of 1209; although, as of 2015–16 it was overenrolled.
South Hagerstown High School opened its doors in the fall of 1956. Buildings for Washington County's newest (in 1956) education facility were planned by Washington, D.C. architects McLeod & Ferrara, and they were built by Norman S. Early and Son of Hagerstown. The architectural design of the school won first place in a national competition that year. The school was dedicated to the service of youth and the community. South Hagerstown high School is also home of the Academy of Finance. The Academy of Finance is a program that is open to all Washington County High School Students and prepares them for a career in Accounting and Business.
The first principal was Carl R. Beer. The successive principals were Richard T. Whisner, Donald Zilch, Walter Galbraith, John D. Peckyno, Richard Martin, Michael Shockey, Richard Akers and Dr. Timothy Dawson. The current assistant principals are John Shirk, Todd McCarty, Sabrina McCoy, and Robert Stike.
South Hagerstown High School recently[when?] received a bronze rating in the U.S. News & World Report of best high schools in America.
- Student Government Association
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Academy of Finance
- National Honor Society
- Academic Team
- Best Buddies
- Environmental Club
- Key Club
- Link Crew
- Spanish Club
- French Club
- Indoor and Outdoor Color Guard
- Marching and Concert Bands
- Anime Club
- Media Club
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Mock Trial
- Future Educators of America
- Robert A. McKee, former Maryland politician, House of Delegates (District 2A)
- Christopher B. Shank, current Maryland State Senator (District 2)
- Justin Warner, chef
- Lucas and Marcus Dobre, identical twin YouTube stars originally gaining fame from the 6-second video app, Vine.
- "South Hagerstown High School". Washington County Public Schools. Retrieved 28 February 2016.