|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|200 Peachgrove Road,
|Type||Private Co-ed Full Primary (Year 1-8) with Boarding Facilities|
|Motto||Per Aspera Ad Astrum
(Through Adversity to the Star)
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||4141|
|School roll||567 (February 2017)|
Southwell School, is an independent co-educational Anglican boarding and day school set in 32 acres of park like grounds in central Hamilton, New Zealand. Southwell offers education to children aged 5 to 13 years. A number of international students attend the school.
In November 1911, Mr Cecil Ernest Ferris started Southwell School with one boy, Robert Oliver, and later, Vernon Wilkinson, at Allington Homestead which is now the site of Melville High School.* In 1912 three D’Oyly Snow brothers joined the School, which was then held in a small building beside St Peter’s Hall. By 1913 the roll had grown to twelve and the School had moved to Hukanui Road. In 1917 Mr H G Sergel became Headmaster and the School moved to Opoia Road, by the railway bridge on River Road. Every Sunday the students walked to St Peter’s Church. In 1921 the School moved to its present site on Peachgrove Road. The Sergel Family owned the school until 1963, when they gifted it to become an Educational Trust administered by a Trust Board.
Southwell School has modern purpose built facilities for teaching subjects including: science, art, pottery, drama, performing arts, languages (French, Chinese), music, technology, and sport.
Options include: rugby, football, hockey, cricket, tennis, touch, netball, cycling, softball, water polo, gymnastics, chess, cross country, swimming, athletics
- Daniel Gillies - actor
- Rt.Hon Sir Doug Graham - former Cabinet Minister
- Lance Hohaia - New Zealand and Warriors rugby league player
- Tuheitia Paki - current Maori King
- Dr Peter Sergel - Director of Hamilton Gardens
- Rt.Hon Simon Upton - former Cabinet Minister and Rhodes Scholar
Notable former staff
- "Directory of Schools - as at 6 March 2017". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Southwell School, 1911-2011 (First ed.). Wanganui, New Zealand: Silver-i Design Associates. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-473-18796-5.
- "Southwell School History" (PDF). Southwell.school.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-08.
- "Honorary Doctorate for mastermind of Hamilton Gardens - Alumni Office : University of Waikato". Alumni.waikato.ac.nz. Retrieved 2015-10-08.
- Southwell School, 1911-2011 (First ed.). Wanganui, New Zealand: Silver-i Design Associates. p. 91. ISBN 978-0-473-18796-5.